POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 9 Mar 2008 17:39:53
Message: <47d46739@news.povray.org>

47d455a1$1@news.povray.org...

> The problem is that much of our "modern" software includes features that
> no sane user wants to use.

Uh, that's really patronizing. Featuritis does exist, but it's a too common
fallacy to think that because one doesn't need certain features the're
completely useless, like in those funny Slashdot discussions where legions
of clueless nerds remind everyone that because *** they *** are happy using
The Gimp to make lolcats everyone using Photoshop is an idiot.

>I'll admit that if I were to try to do a crosstab with Lotus 1-2-3, I'd not
>have been able to do it (because the
>feature wasn't there AFAICR), and that is something I use today that
>isn't in the older software.

1-2-3 would be completely useless by modern standards, and not just because
of crosstab. Really useless, like a brick. And I loved it for years, until I
switched. You'll pry my bloated Excel from my dead cold hands ;)

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com