POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Stephen
Date: 10 Mar 2008 02:18:59
Message: <h6o9t317qq2b17nfp1aqi9r7va1liipscd@4ax.com>
On 9 Mar 2008 15:16:01 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>A lot of the bloat comes from inefficient coding - after all, I can put
>32 GB of memory in a machine nowadays, so why do I need to worry about
>optimisation?
>
>The type of optimization that was taught in CS classes in the early 90's
>doesn't seem to even be a concern any more because "the machines are fast
>enough and have enough memory that it doesn't matter if we're sloppy in
>our coding".

Isn't that how you get cheap programmes, though? If you reuse code and generic
solutions combined with not testing fully the production costs are kept low
(ish). BTW I'm not arguing it is just an opinion I've developed over the years.
I know next to nothing about programming and the only lesions I've ever had was
in the 70's writing assembly code for fault finding. Myself, I can't code for
toffee and I know it.

Regards
	Stephen