POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curiosity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:52 EDT (-0400)
  Curiosity (Message 71 to 80 of 115)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Curiosity
Date: 4 Mar 2008 04:36:54
Message: <47cd1836$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Nobody becomes an expert overnight.  It takes time and practice.
>>>
>> And in some cases, school.
>
> True, very true.

In case you missed it - I already tried that. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Fa3ien
Date: 4 Mar 2008 05:27:17
Message: <47cd2405$1@news.povray.org>

> 47cc1c7a$1@news.povray.org...
>
>> Other than the strange personal fun of the author, I can't see any valid
>> reason to do that kind of work using that kind of technique.  Why give up
>> the flexibility of 3D CG, or the simplicity and feel of hand-painting ?
>
> I guess it's more an historical thing. Bert Monroy is a digital art pioneer
> and he's been famous for a couple of decades now for his photorealistic
> work. He's probably one of the first computer artists to have a real
> following. This kind of piece is really a showcase for his
> Photoshop/Illustrator skills (and books, lectures, TV shows etc.).

Visiting his site, I noticed that he made some backgrounds for "shatter", which
is seen as the first comic done on a computer. It's amusing because I remember
quite well reading "shatter" in Spirou (yes!) at the time (early eighties).

The limitations of Mac Paint gave "shatter" a very specific feel, quite interesting,
graphically (and now historically).  His most recent work are rather bland
aerograph-mock stuff, in comparison.

Fabien.

Post a reply to this message