POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curiosity : Re: Curiosity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curiosity
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 4 Mar 2008 09:06:22
Message: <47cd575e$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Some things that shock me about this video:
>
> - Tim manages to draw, UNdraw and then redraw lines multiple times.
> Usually in a bitmap editor, all drawing operations are final and cannot
> be undone like that. (That's what's so great about vector images - you
> can edit *everything* and nothing is ever "final".)

Undo, or he occasionally flips the stylus over and uses the eraser end.
(yes, it has an eraser..)

> - He scales objects. This generally isn't possible in bitmap editors
> without absurd levels of highly-visible distortion. (Tim even scales
> individual *parts* of objects - something I've never seen any bitmap
> editor allow.)

He's probably using a high enough resolution to mitigate the effects,
plus the scaling he's doing isn't *too* drastic.

> - Tim is able to move objects around, place one in front of another, and
> draw stuff behind objects. It's standard in a vector editor, but I've
> never seen it in a bitmap editor.

Layers. Even Gimp has layers.

> - How on earth does he do the text like that? When *I* want to outline
> something, I have to sit there for hours drawing the outlines in by
> hand. He appears to have some kind of automation that does it for him...
> And not to mention all the squishing and bending of the text, and the
> multiple levels of gradients and...

Photoshop has a means of adding effects to layers. Essentially, you open
the blending options dialog, and choose the items you want (Drop shadow,
  Outer/Inner glow, Stroke, etc ...)