POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curiosity : Re: Curiosity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curiosity
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 4 Mar 2008 08:56:54
Message: <47cd5526$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> [You might recall I gave up on 3D Studio Max - reputedly the most
> powerful 3D software ever written in human history - because I couldn't
> figure out how to make it draw something other than spheres of cylinders.]

If you can manage GIMP, you can manage Photoshop a bit easier, IMO.
Especially for macro-like things, you can record actions, etc...
Photoshop is *the* program for image manipulation, and it does it well.
One of the things I really like is the non-destructive features, such as
adjustment layers; Very helpful. CS3 has even more non-destructive
editing. The software is extremely stable and mature. Gimp is mostly
stable, but I have managed to make betas crash a few times.

Elements, on the other hand I have found to be a major pain in the arse.
My wife has Elements to use with her digital camera, and I somewhat
dislike the way it works. An advantage of having Elements (it comes OEM
with some products) is that you have upgrade pricing. My father in law
was able to get CS3 for US$300. One of the few very expensive programs
I've found to be well worth the money spent.