POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curiosity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:21 EDT (-0400)
  Curiosity (Message 16 to 25 of 115)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: Curiosity
Date: 29 Feb 2008 15:52:57
Message: <47c870a9$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> Having got over just how amazing his hardware and software is, several
> other facts strike me:
>
> 1. This is speeded up 600 times? And it still takes, like, 20 minutes
> for him to draw the whole thing? Wow, that's a long time! (And the
> finished image looks so easy...)

200 hours? That doesn't seem right. 60x speed-up would be 20 hours worth...

> [I was actually toying with the idea of making a web comic of my own.
> Now I see what an absurd idea that is.]
>
> 2. He can do stuff with pencil and paper that I couldn't do in my
> wildest daydreams. I mean, if you left me in a room with a pad of paper
> for 20 years, I still couldn't produce anything approaching this level
> of sophistication.
>
> 3. He seems to draw and re-draw and constantly tweak everything way more
> than I would have imagined. I assumed he was one of these people who can
> just draw a line and do it perfectly every time. But no, actually he
> seems to spend quite a lot of time adjusting each part to get it just
> so. No wonder the final image looks so damn fine!
>
> 4. Woah, that's A LOT of levels of shading!
>
> 5. There are quite a few parts where he's not *drawing* anything, just
> pressing buttons on the UI. It's hard to see what he's doing. But the
> software seems to have some impressive area colouring capabilities!
>
> 6. This guy clearly has more talent in his left toenail than I have in
> my entire body. Even if I somehow purchased the hardware and software
> that he has, I wouldn't know what to do with it. Just... wow. I should
> go away and be quiet now...

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 29 Feb 2008 15:54:47
Message: <47c87117$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

>> [I was actually toying with the idea of making a web comic of my own.
>> Now I see what an absurd idea that is.]
>
> Oh cmon, you don't need to have CAD's artistic quality. Can you draw
> comics as good as xkcd?

You laugh, but take a closer look for a moment.

XKCD is a comic featuring only stick figures. With NO FREAKIN' FACES!
And yet, they manage to convey emotion. All using nothing but body
language. From bodies make out of black lines on a white background.

If you stop and think about all that for a moment, you'll realise that
actually, XKCD is *way* harder than it looks!

> Well, that was another comment he got often.
> "You're a damned perfectionist you know that...?"

LOL! Well, the final results *do* look pretty damn good, no? ;-)

[Actually, it's quite interesting to compare, say, today's comic to
comic #1. There's quite a bit difference in art style. It changed over
the years, really gradually, but if you compare the two endpoints it's
quite striking. Oh yeah, and Lilah in particular looks a lot less geeky
than she used to...]

>> 4. Woah, that's A LOT of levels of shading!
>
> Lots of people noticed details while watching the video that they had
> never noticed on the comics themselves.

I had noticed 2 levels of shading. Apparently there's actually 3 -
there's a really thin line of light as well as the more obvious dark
patches. And the shading on the tree is just... wow.

>> 6. This guy clearly has more talent in his left toenail than I have in
>> my entire body. Even if I somehow purchased the hardware and software
>> that he has, I wouldn't know what to do with it. Just... wow. I should
>> go away and be quiet now...
>
> Challenge him in Haskell programming?
>
> Different people have *different* skills.

Hmm... I suspect I might get 0wned at that too. :-S

Never challenge anybody to anything. You end up loosing. And then you
look very stupid.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> 1. This is speeded up 600 times? And it still takes, like, 20 minutes
>> for him to draw the whole thing? Wow, that's a long time! (And the
>> finished image looks so easy...)
>
> 200 hours? That doesn't seem right. 60x speed-up would be 20 hours worth...

Yeah, I think you might be right. 600x would be a freakin' BLUR... I
must be mis-remembering this stuff. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/