POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video compression Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Video compression (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: Video compression
Date: 22 Feb 2008 14:19:41
Message: <47bf204d$1@news.povray.org>
OK, now I am *seriously* confused...

I encoded a bunch of AVIs using the Huffyuv codec. (I often do this.)
However, a while later I just happened to play one back, and noticed
something extremely strange: The colours are all screwed up, and the

dimensions have been recorded wrong).

By this point I'd already deleted the uncompressed sources [which took
several weeks to render], so I was rather alarmed. [Understatement.]
However, on loading the thing up into VirtualDub, I discovered something
truely bizzare: If you skip to any frame, it comes out correct. But if
you *play* the video, it comes out screwed up. WTF?

Anyway, when I play Huffyuv videos, the ffdshow logo pops up in the
system tray, so I assumed ffdshow was doing the decoding. So I
uninstalled ffdshow, thinking it must be some kind of bug. However, my
computer still understands Huffyuv. And then I noticed an entry that
says "Huffyuv (Remove only)". So I uninstalled that. And yet my computer
*still* knows how to decode Huffyuv, despite there being no codec for it
installed...

At this point, I am massively confused. I can both encode and decode
Huffyuv, but it doesn't playback right. Why the hell is the playback
wrong, and why is it still encoding and decoding a codec I've uninstalled??

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Anyway, when I play Huffyuv videos, the ffdshow logo pops up in the
> system tray, so I assumed ffdshow was doing the decoding. So I
> uninstalled ffdshow, thinking it must be some kind of bug. However, my
> computer still understands Huffyuv. And then I noticed an entry that
> says "Huffyuv (Remove only)". So I uninstalled that. And yet my computer
> *still* knows how to decode Huffyuv, despite there being no codec for it
> installed...

  Just because there's no codec named "huffyuv" doesn't mean there's no
codec which understands huffyuv. It may even be a Windows system-level
support.

  (Also, some players might have internal support for huffyuv. Which
player are you using?)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> Anyway, when I play Huffyuv videos, the ffdshow logo pops up in the
>> system tray, so I assumed ffdshow was doing the decoding. So I
>> uninstalled ffdshow, thinking it must be some kind of bug. However, my
>> computer still understands Huffyuv. And then I noticed an entry that
>> says "Huffyuv (Remove only)". So I uninstalled that. And yet my computer
>> *still* knows how to decode Huffyuv, despite there being no codec for it
>> installed...
>
>   Just because there's no codec named "huffyuv" doesn't mean there's no
> codec which understands huffyuv. It may even be a Windows system-level
> support.
>
>   (Also, some players might have internal support for huffyuv. Which
> player are you using?)

VirtualDub manages to both encode and decode it. (As I said, if you
*play* one, the playback is wrong. But if you decode one to file, the
decoded file is correct. Which, obviously, is extremely odd.)

Windows Media Player can play it.

Windows Explorer manages to generate thumbnails.

Installing a newer version of ffdshow did alter the thumbnails in
Windows Explorer, but otherwise had no effect...

I used to use Huffyuv a lot and never had any kind of problem like this,
so I'm a little confused as to what's gone wrong.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> Orchid XP v7 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>> Anyway, when I play Huffyuv videos, the ffdshow logo pops up in the
>>> system tray, so I assumed ffdshow was doing the decoding. So I
>>> uninstalled ffdshow, thinking it must be some kind of bug. However,
>>> my computer still understands Huffyuv. And then I noticed an entry
>>> that says "Huffyuv (Remove only)". So I uninstalled that. And yet my
>>> computer *still* knows how to decode Huffyuv, despite there being no
>>> codec for it installed...
>>
>>   Just because there's no codec named "huffyuv" doesn't mean there's no
>> codec which understands huffyuv. It may even be a Windows system-level
>> support.
>>
>>   (Also, some players might have internal support for huffyuv. Which
>> player are you using?)
>
> VirtualDub manages to both encode and decode it. (As I said, if you
> *play* one, the playback is wrong. But if you decode one to file, the
> decoded file is correct. Which, obviously, is extremely odd.)
>
> Windows Media Player can play it.
>
> Windows Explorer manages to generate thumbnails.
>
> Installing a newer version of ffdshow did alter the thumbnails in
> Windows Explorer, but otherwise had no effect...
>
> I used to use Huffyuv a lot and never had any kind of problem like this,
> so I'm a little confused as to what's gone wrong.

Have a look at your registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

(that's a single line...)

I have entries of the form VICD.XXXX where XXXX is the FourCC of the
video codec.

Post a reply to this message

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
>
> (that's a single line...)
>
> I have entries of the form VICD.XXXX where XXXX is the FourCC of the
> video codec.

There's a REG_SZ VIDC.HFYU that's set to "huffyuv.dll". Sure enough, the
file C:\WINDOWS\system32\HUFFYUV.DLL exists.

I wonder how it got there though?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/