POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video compression : Re: Video compression Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video compression
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 22 Feb 2008 15:06:30
Message: <47bf2b46$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Anyway, when I play Huffyuv videos, the ffdshow logo pops up in the
>> system tray, so I assumed ffdshow was doing the decoding. So I
>> uninstalled ffdshow, thinking it must be some kind of bug. However, my
>> computer still understands Huffyuv. And then I noticed an entry that
>> says "Huffyuv (Remove only)". So I uninstalled that. And yet my computer
>> *still* knows how to decode Huffyuv, despite there being no codec for it
>> installed...
>
>   Just because there's no codec named "huffyuv" doesn't mean there's no
> codec which understands huffyuv. It may even be a Windows system-level
> support.
>
>   (Also, some players might have internal support for huffyuv. Which
> player are you using?)

VirtualDub manages to both encode and decode it. (As I said, if you
*play* one, the playback is wrong. But if you decode one to file, the
decoded file is correct. Which, obviously, is extremely odd.)

Windows Media Player can play it.

Windows Explorer manages to generate thumbnails.

Installing a newer version of ffdshow did alter the thumbnails in
Windows Explorer, but otherwise had no effect...

I used to use Huffyuv a lot and never had any kind of problem like this,
so I'm a little confused as to what's gone wrong.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/