POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video compression : Video compression Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  Video compression
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 22 Feb 2008 14:19:41
Message: <47bf204d$1@news.povray.org>
OK, now I am *seriously* confused...

I encoded a bunch of AVIs using the Huffyuv codec. (I often do this.)
However, a while later I just happened to play one back, and noticed
something extremely strange: The colours are all screwed up, and the

dimensions have been recorded wrong).

By this point I'd already deleted the uncompressed sources [which took
several weeks to render], so I was rather alarmed. [Understatement.]
However, on loading the thing up into VirtualDub, I discovered something
truely bizzare: If you skip to any frame, it comes out correct. But if
you *play* the video, it comes out screwed up. WTF?

Anyway, when I play Huffyuv videos, the ffdshow logo pops up in the
system tray, so I assumed ffdshow was doing the decoding. So I
uninstalled ffdshow, thinking it must be some kind of bug. However, my
computer still understands Huffyuv. And then I noticed an entry that
says "Huffyuv (Remove only)". So I uninstalled that. And yet my computer
*still* knows how to decode Huffyuv, despite there being no codec for it
installed...

At this point, I am massively confused. I can both encode and decode
Huffyuv, but it doesn't playback right. Why the hell is the playback
wrong, and why is it still encoding and decoding a codec I've uninstalled??

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/