POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition (Message 126 to 135 of 135)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
Date: 21 Feb 2008 11:28:49
Message: <47bda6c1$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> Well, perhaps you're right. All I know is that we started ending up
>> with lots of "Java" programs which only actually work with the M$ JVM.
>
> I've seen very few Java programs that work correctly on multiple Java
> interpreters, myself. I think I have 3 JVMs installed at work (under
> Linux) to support the three different java-based libraries I'm using
> from different parts of my program.
>
> If you want your Java portable, don't use proprietary libraries. It's
> pretty easy.

In fairness, it would probably help if the AWT hadn't been designed by
an escaped monkey...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 21 Feb 2008 14:13:52
Message: <47bdcd70$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> In fairness, it would probably help if the AWT hadn't been designed by
> an escaped monkey...

Heck - in early versions of Java (i.e., Netscape 4 timeframe), they
didn't even have Hashtable working right.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?

Post a reply to this message

>> In fairness, it would probably help if the AWT hadn't been designed by
>> an escaped monkey...
>
> Heck - in early versions of Java (i.e., Netscape 4 timeframe), they
> didn't even have Hashtable working right.

That's an implementation bug. Invisible is talking about AWT *design*,
which can't be just "fixed on the next release".

Post a reply to this message

> That's an implementation bug. Invisible is talking about AWT *design*,
> which can't be just "fixed on the next release".

Yes. He was changing the topic, and I was still on the original topic.
:-) Just saying, AWT wasn't the worst of it. Java had all kinds of evil
brokenness, and still does.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?

Post a reply to this message

>> That's an implementation bug. Invisible is talking about AWT *design*,
>> which can't be just "fixed on the next release".
>
> Yes. He was changing the topic, and I was still on the original topic.
> :-) Just saying, AWT wasn't the worst of it. Java had all kinds of evil
> brokenness, and still does.

So does .Net have a less horribly broken library design then?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> >> That's an implementation bug. Invisible is talking about AWT *design*,
> >> which can't be just "fixed on the next release".
> >
> > Yes. He was changing the topic, and I was still on the original topic.
> > :-) Just saying, AWT wasn't the worst of it. Java had all kinds of evil
> > brokenness, and still does.
>
> So does .Net have a less horribly broken library design then?

probably and sadly yes.  Because it was made to run on a single OS from a single
company.  Many choices and tradeoffs are easier to make as is making it work
nice with the underlying architecture.  of course, it's less broken but much
more evil than Java. ;)

Post a reply to this message

>>> That's an implementation bug. Invisible is talking about AWT
>>> *design*, which can't be just "fixed on the next release".
>>
>> Yes. He was changing the topic, and I was still on the original topic.
>> :-) Just saying, AWT wasn't the worst of it. Java had all kinds of
>> evil brokenness, and still does.
>
> So does .Net have a less horribly broken library design then?

AFAIK, The library for making windows and stuff is less broken than Java
AWT, *because* it's too Windows-oriented. Since they didn't bother with
any crossplatformness, the API is simpler...

Post a reply to this message