POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition : Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:14:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Feb 2008 11:30:17
Message: <47bef899$1@news.povray.org>
>> So does .Net have a less horribly broken library design then?
>
> I would say it does, actually, yes.
>
> Now, granted, it's very *complex*, because it has a lot in it.
>
> But overall, it's surprisingly clean.

Java has a long list of brokeness. The language itself is horridly
broken, but the standard libraries are insane...

It's been a while since I actually used Java. But IIRC, the Object class
has a surprisingly vast collection of methods. The base class for AWT
widgets is *huge*. And there are multiple methods which apparently do
the same thing... except... they don't... but it's not documented... Hmm.

Other fun things include the frequency with which they deprecate massive
sections of the API and provide new ones. (IIRC, originally we did
stream-type stuff with stream wrappers. And then they added "readers"
and "writers" and deprecated all the old interfaces.)

Basically, if you run the same program on several different JVMs, you
get wildly different behaviour, because nobody is sure exactly what all
the GUI-related method calls are actually *meant* to do...

I really hope .Net has managed to avoid all that...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/