POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I think I need more cores... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:05 EDT (-0400)
  I think I need more cores... (Message 21 to 30 of 35)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: I think I need more cores...
Date: 11 Feb 2008 10:19:04
Message: <47b06768$1@news.povray.org>
>> My God...
>
> Yes, my child?

._.

>> Doesn't the UT3 editor use up nearly 100% CPU on its own?
>
> 50%, so basically 100% of a single core.  I think it's a bug (and so do
> several other people on the UT3 forum), since it never varies (even when
> minimized).

M$ Access 97 has precisely the same bug:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/160819

"During idle time, Microsoft Access continuously polls its message queue
to check for keyboard and mouse activity."

"Microsoft Access was originally designed to operate in the cooperative
multitasking environment that Microsoft Windows 3.x provides."

In other words, a simple polling loop. A surprising amount of software
still uses such brain-dead technology. (E.g., I frequently see it in
printer and scanner drivers. Like my mum's HP printer, that connects
over the parallel port. Printing to it causes 100% CPU usage until the
print finishes. No reason for it...)

>> BTW, do you think we will ever reach a situation where controlling 8
>> seperate PCs is as easy as controlling just one?
>
> Not exactly, but I do think that distributed computing will become much
> easier (spawn a task, and dozens (or hundreds) of computers will pitch
> in to finish it).

I just wonder if one day it will be, like, you run a program and as many
computers as you have switched on automatically start biting into it...
but hey, that sounds *far* too easy! ;-) Even Apple haven't done it yet.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> still uses such brain-dead technology. (E.g., I frequently see it in
> printer and scanner drivers. Like my mum's HP printer, that connects
> over the parallel port. Printing to it causes 100% CPU usage until the
> print finishes. No reason for it...)

I've seen exactly the same thing on a piece of hardware I had to deal with.
Can't remember the name of it (Rakal or something similar)
Drove one CPU's kernal usage to 100% flat. Lovely thing to have on a
database server.

> I just wonder if one day it will be, like, you run a program and as many
> computers as you have switched on automatically start biting into it...
> but hey, that sounds *far* too easy! ;-) Even Apple haven't done it yet.

I don't think it's that farfetched. You could argue that Google's done
similar with their distributed search.
Distributed computing was a big research topic when I was at iuniversity. I
think it still is. I keep running across references when I'm reading
It's not easy though.

Post a reply to this message

>> still uses such brain-dead technology. (E.g., I frequently see it in
>> printer and scanner drivers. Like my mum's HP printer, that connects
>> over the parallel port. Printing to it causes 100% CPU usage until the
>> print finishes. No reason for it...)
>
> I've seen exactly the same thing on a piece of hardware I had to deal with.
> Can't remember the name of it (Rakal or something similar)
> Drove one CPU's kernal usage to 100% flat. Lovely thing to have on a
> database server.

Yes, truly wonderful, isn't it?

OOC, how many cores does your server have? (Mine has 2. And they're both
Pentium-III...)

>> I just wonder if one day it will be, like, you run a program and as many
>> computers as you have switched on automatically start biting into it...
>> but hey, that sounds *far* too easy! ;-) Even Apple haven't done it yet.
>
> I don't think it's that farfetched. You could argue that Google's done
> similar with their distributed search.

I'm not familiar with that.

> Distributed computing was a big research topic when I was at iuniversity. I
> think it still is. I keep running across references when I'm reading
> It's not easy though.

The Haskell guys keep telling us how parallel processing is the future
and how Haskell is right there ready to step in... but it's not actually
that easy. Haskell has far fewer problems than *cough* C. Emphasis fewER
problems...

Anyway, things like PVM exist. But it's nowhere near as easy as opening
Word and start typing... You've got to configure a whole heap of stuff
to get it going, and then you can't just *run* your program, you must
configure that also. And your program must be specially built to work
with PVM, and... and...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/