POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I think I need more cores... : Re: I think I need more cores... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I think I need more cores...
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 11 Feb 2008 13:12:40
Message: <47b09018@news.povray.org>
news:47b06768$1@news.povray.org...
> A surprising amount of software
> still uses such brain-dead technology. (E.g., I frequently see it in
> printer and scanner drivers. Like my mum's HP printer, that connects
> over the parallel port. Printing to it causes 100% CPU usage until the
> print finishes. No reason for it...)

I've seen exactly the same thing on a piece of hardware I had to deal with.
Can't remember the name of it (Rakal or something similar)
Drove one CPU's kernal usage to 100% flat. Lovely thing to have on a
database server.

> I just wonder if one day it will be, like, you run a program and as many
> computers as you have switched on automatically start biting into it...
> but hey, that sounds *far* too easy! ;-) Even Apple haven't done it yet.

I don't think it's that farfetched. You could argue that Google's done
similar with their distributed search.
Distributed computing was a big research topic when I was at iuniversity. I
think it still is. I keep running across references when I'm reading
It's not easy though.