POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I think I need more cores... : Re: I think I need more cores... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I think I need more cores...
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Feb 2008 10:19:04
Message: <47b06768$1@news.povray.org>
>> My God...
>
> Yes, my child?

._.

>> Doesn't the UT3 editor use up nearly 100% CPU on its own?
>
> 50%, so basically 100% of a single core.  I think it's a bug (and so do
> several other people on the UT3 forum), since it never varies (even when
> minimized).

M$ Access 97 has precisely the same bug:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/160819

"During idle time, Microsoft Access continuously polls its message queue
to check for keyboard and mouse activity."

"Microsoft Access was originally designed to operate in the cooperative
multitasking environment that Microsoft Windows 3.x provides."

In other words, a simple polling loop. A surprising amount of software
still uses such brain-dead technology. (E.g., I frequently see it in
printer and scanner drivers. Like my mum's HP printer, that connects
over the parallel port. Printing to it causes 100% CPU usage until the
print finishes. No reason for it...)

>> BTW, do you think we will ever reach a situation where controlling 8
>> seperate PCs is as easy as controlling just one?
>
> Not exactly, but I do think that distributed computing will become much
> easier (spawn a task, and dozens (or hundreds) of computers will pitch
> in to finish it).

I just wonder if one day it will be, like, you run a program and as many
computers as you have switched on automatically start biting into it...
but hey, that sounds *far* too easy! ;-) Even Apple haven't done it yet.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/