POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I think I need more cores... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  I think I need more cores... (Message 11 to 20 of 35)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: I think I need more cores...
Date: 10 Feb 2008 23:02:28
Message: <47afc8d4@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Currently running:
> POV-Ray (5 instances, each rendering part of an animation)
> Firefox & Thunderbird
> Handbrake
> CloneDVD
> UT3 Editor
>
> My poor dual core can't keep up :(
>
> I think I'm one of the few home users who could get some real use out of
> an 8 core machine :)

Ben, you definitely need an 8 core machine.  You can tell your wife I
said so.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 10 Feb 2008 23:10:00
Message: <web.47afca1ca7c4e58a8d805710@news.povray.org>
hey, there's always minesweep! ;)

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 10 Feb 2008 23:16:39
Message: <47afcc27$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
>> Currently running:
>> POV-Ray (5 instances, each rendering part of an animation)
>> Firefox & Thunderbird
>> Handbrake
>> CloneDVD
>> UT3 Editor
>>
>> My poor dual core can't keep up :(
>>
>> I think I'm one of the few home users who could get some real use out
>> of an 8 core machine :)
>>
> Ben, you definitely need an 8 core machine.  You can tell your wife I
> said so.

Well, thanks!  Since the fact that they cost >$2k doesn't matter at all
to us, the only thing holding me up was her permission - but that'll be
easy to get with you backing me up :)

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 10 Feb 2008 23:18:34
Message: <47afcc9a$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

>> So, that leaves UT3Ed, which was nearly unusable.  So, I took a break
>> from it to give Handbrake a chance to finish encoding, and played some
>> flash games on the web (which I found were almost as CPU intensive as
>> UT3!)
>
> I'm still in the look for a good game to play while waiting for renders.
> Playing a CPu-hog game while waiting for a render to finish is
> counter-productive. My biggest problem isn't intensive games... but
> games that always use 100%. Doesn't matter how fast your CPU is, always
> 100%. It's clear they have some busy loop (polling instead of blocking
> for events, for example).
>
> Bejeweled 2 is great but eats 100% CPU (well, only one core). I can't
> figure out why... If I use it in windowed mode, I notice it doesn't use
> CPU while the window is unfocused. However, mouse hover effects still
> work while window is unfocused, and CPU usage isn't very significant, so
> it's not the graphics. Busy loop on the sound handling?

Did you try enforcing VSync in the video driver?  If its rendering at,
say, 200 fps, this should limit it to ~33% CPU usage.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 10 Feb 2008 23:27:03
Message: <47afce97@news.povray.org>

> Did you try enforcing VSync in the video driver?  If its rendering at,
> say, 200 fps, this should limit it to ~33% CPU usage.

It's probably not video. While the window is unfocused but visible, it
still renders, since mouse hover effects work. But CPU usage is barely
noticeable.

Post a reply to this message

From: somebody
Date: 10 Feb 2008 23:55:47
Message: <47afd553@news.povray.org>
"Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message

> My poor dual core can't keep up :(
> Currently running:
> POV-Ray (5 instances, each rendering part of an animation)

Why do you run 5 instances on a dual core?

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 11 Feb 2008 00:07:05
Message: <47afd7f9$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> "Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message
>
>> My poor dual core can't keep up :(
>> Currently running:
>> POV-Ray (5 instances, each rendering part of an animation)
>
> Why do you run 5 instances on a dual core?

Each frame renders in 10-30 seconds, and the parsing time is between 2-3
seconds.

Since the parsing time is anywhere from 6-30% of the total render time,
and it is single threaded (even in the 3.7 beta), I just run 5 instances
to ensure that CPU usage remains as close to 100% as possible.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

From: stbenge
Date: 11 Feb 2008 01:05:09
Message: <47afe595@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Currently running:
> POV-Ray (5 instances, each rendering part of an animation)
> Firefox & Thunderbird
> Handbrake
> CloneDVD
> UT3 Editor
>
> My poor dual core can't keep up :(
>
> I think I'm one of the few home users who could get some real use out of
> an 8 core machine :)

I think anyone using a newer 3d app. can claim to be 'one of the few'. ;)

Sam

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 11 Feb 2008 08:32:40
Message: <47b04e78$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Currently running:
> POV-Ray (5 instances, each rendering part of an animation)
> Firefox & Thunderbird
> Handbrake
> CloneDVD
> UT3 Editor

...!!

You're running 5 instances of POV-Ray? My God...

Doesn't the UT3 editor use up nearly 100% CPU on its own?

I have no idea what Handbrake is, but I'm guessing it might be slowing
you down. *rimshot*

Seriously - you need more PCs! o_O

> My poor dual core can't keep up :(

Yah think?!?

> I think I'm one of the few home users who could get some real use out of
> an 8 core machine :)

...or possibly 8 seperate 8-core machines. :-P

But anyway, check this out:

http://blog.orphi.me.uk/archives/86

When I posted that, the HP xw6400 I linked was priced at only £600, with
a second quad-core CPU thrown in *for free*. So that's basically £600
for a box with 8 Intel Xeon cores at 2.33 GHz. (Unfortunately, it's now
gone back to a normal server price of several thousand pounds. Damn, I
knew I should have purchased it back then!)

BTW, do you think we will ever reach a situation where controlling 8
seperate PCs is as easy as controlling just one?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Chambers
Date: 11 Feb 2008 10:02:43
Message: <47b06393$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> You're running 5 instances of POV-Ray? My God...

Yes, my child?

> Doesn't the UT3 editor use up nearly 100% CPU on its own?

50%, so basically 100% of a single core.  I think it's a bug (and so do
several other people on the UT3 forum), since it never varies (even when
minimized).

When building the level, it can use up to 100% CPU on a dual core.

> I have no idea what Handbrake is, but I'm guessing it might be slowing
> you down. *rimshot*

Encoding a DVD.  For some reason, TMPGEnc is having trouble reading the
VOB files from certain movies, so I'm trying other software to see if it
works.

> BTW, do you think we will ever reach a situation where controlling 8
> seperate PCs is as easy as controlling just one?

Not exactly, but I do think that distributed computing will become much
easier (spawn a task, and dozens (or hundreds) of computers will pitch
in to finish it).

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com