POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I think I need more cores... : Re: I think I need more cores... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I think I need more cores...
From: Chambers
Date: 11 Feb 2008 00:07:05
Message: <47afd7f9$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> "Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message
>
>> My poor dual core can't keep up :(
>> Currently running:
>> POV-Ray (5 instances, each rendering part of an animation)
>
> Why do you run 5 instances on a dual core?

Each frame renders in 10-30 seconds, and the parsing time is between 2-3
seconds.

Since the parsing time is anywhere from 6-30% of the total render time,
and it is single threaded (even in the 3.7 beta), I just run 5 instances
to ensure that CPU usage remains as close to 100% as possible.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com