POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I think I need more cores... : Re: I think I need more cores... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:17:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I think I need more cores...
From: Chambers
Date: 11 Feb 2008 10:02:43
Message: <47b06393$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> You're running 5 instances of POV-Ray? My God...

Yes, my child?

> Doesn't the UT3 editor use up nearly 100% CPU on its own?

50%, so basically 100% of a single core.  I think it's a bug (and so do
several other people on the UT3 forum), since it never varies (even when
minimized).

When building the level, it can use up to 100% CPU on a dual core.

> I have no idea what Handbrake is, but I'm guessing it might be slowing
> you down. *rimshot*

Encoding a DVD.  For some reason, TMPGEnc is having trouble reading the
VOB files from certain movies, so I'm trying other software to see if it
works.

> BTW, do you think we will ever reach a situation where controlling 8
> seperate PCs is as easy as controlling just one?

Not exactly, but I do think that distributed computing will become much
easier (spawn a task, and dozens (or hundreds) of computers will pitch
in to finish it).

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com