POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : re: Jim Charter's 2007 Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  re: Jim Charter's 2007 (Message 2 to 11 of 21)
<<< Previous 1 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Jim Charter's 2007
Date: 18 Jan 2008 17:40:41
Message: <2la2p3tmdsnikhc3k1g9vqqappo20kvdh2@4ax.com>
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:28:22 -0500, Shay <sha### [at] nonenone> wrote:

>The two go hand in hand, IMO. Despite the stress, danger, and long
>hours, I have never met a depressed roughneck. Almost every driller (a
>non-physical job) I have met has been depressed. I believe there's
>medicine in physical activity.

Hi Shay,
How many roughnecks can count to ten on their fingers? :)

How can you say that the driller's or even the pusher's job is not physical?
When compared to onshore jobs. Seriously, unless you are on a modern rig with
push button controls for the iron roughneck the driller's job involved a lot of
strain and repetitive movement. But then I may be very out of date. I've met
drillers who were not depressed only mad and very often bad.
I think that it is easier to be mentally fit when you are physically fit. Since
I stopped working on the tools I've found that it is getting easier to slip into
bad habits.

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> How many roughnecks can count to ten on their fingers? :)

So that's how drillers count? :)

> How can you say that the driller's or even the pusher's job is not physical?

Perhaps it is not AS physical.

> When compared to onshore jobs. Seriously, unless you are on a modern rig with
> push button controls for the iron roughneck the driller's job involved a lot of
> strain and repetitive movement. But then I may be very out of date. I've met
> drillers who were not depressed only mad and very often bad.

Shay probably over-generalized there.

> I think that it is easier to be mentally fit when you are physically fit. Since
> I stopped working on the tools I've found that it is getting easier to slip into
> bad habits.

I guess we all agree on that. Though its been so long since I've been
physically fit I can't really remember anymore.  I really have to get
serious though.  Cab driving is so bad for one's fitness that it doesn't
take much to push things over the edge.  Some anxiety, a little bingeing
and it's a big mess.

-jim

Post a reply to this message