POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : re: Jim Charter's 2007 : Re: Jim Charter's 2007 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Jim Charter's 2007
From: Stephen
Date: 18 Jan 2008 18:56:55
Message: <cge2p3p4emdmtf893or05mj9mo5e339p58@4ax.com>
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:29:47 -0500, Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>
>> Hi Shay,
>> How many roughnecks can count to ten on their fingers? :)
>
>So that's how drillers count? :)

There is the old roughneck joke:
A roughneck walked into a bar and held up his hand with all his fingers spread
and said. "Two pints, barman."

>> How can you say that the driller's or even the pusher's job is not physical?
>
>Perhaps it is not AS physical.

I was joshing, there is no comparison. A roughneck's job is probably one of the
most dangerous and physically demanding there is. I'm just trying to regain the
camaraderie I lost when I left the tools. <sad git>

>> When compared to onshore jobs. Seriously, unless you are on a modern rig with
>> push button controls for the iron roughneck the driller's job involved a lot of
>> strain and repetitive movement. But then I may be very out of date. I've met
>> drillers who were not depressed only mad and very often bad.
>
>Shay probably over-generalized there.

Nah! It's a job thing. Park your brains at the door when you get promoted :)

>> I think that it is easier to be mentally fit when you are physically fit. Since
>> I stopped working on the tools I've found that it is getting easier to slip into
>> bad habits.
>
>I guess we all agree on that. Though its been so long since I've been
>physically fit I can't really remember anymore.  I really have to get
>serious though.  Cab driving is so bad for one's fitness that it doesn't
>take much to push things over the edge.  Some anxiety, a little bingeing
>and it's a big mess.

I sympathise Jim. I've b*ggered my body working offshore and can't exercise or
I'll make it worse. So I've had to limit my food intake to stop getting fat as I
get depressed (not clinically). My weight see saws in a 2 or 3 year cycle.
Fortunately my appetite goes on its own accord when I reach about 13 stones
(~185 lbs). So it is not too hard to loose weight, so far :)

Regards
	Stephen