POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : re: Jim Charter's 2007 : Re: Jim Charter's 2007 Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Jim Charter's 2007
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 21 Jan 2008 16:57:04
Message: <47951530$1@news.povray.org>
"Shay" <sha### [at] nonenone> wrote in message news:4793698e@news.povray.org...
> Tom Galvin wrote:
> > Shay wrote:
> >>
> >> Excellent. I need to find some pretext to have a long talk with
> >> my niece(13yo) about bad social habits.
> >
> > YMMV but I found repeated short conversations more effective at
> > that age.
>
> Don't know many teenagers, but I think it depends on one's relationship
> with the kid. In a way, we're fairly close. I knew her parents before she
> was born and rented a room from them when my niece was a baby. She was
> calling me "Uncle Shay" before I had even met her aunt. On the other hand,
> I'm not an uncle to her like my uncles were to me.[1] My uncles had nearly
> as much authority over me as my parents. They could pull off preaching to
> me.

I had that type of relationship with some of my uncles as well.  I remember
having at least a couple long talks with 2 of them in particular
(individually).  I could talk to them about things I would never mention to
my parents.  In fact, I believe that my life probably would be quite
different if I hadn't had those few long conversations.

I can't believe that it's been about 20 years since I was a teenager.  Now
I'm older than my uncles were then, but they still seem much wiser.  :-)