POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : re: Jim Charter's 2007 : Re: Jim Charter's 2007 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Jim Charter's 2007
From: Stephen
Date: 19 Jan 2008 10:50:58
Message: <r964p318nub35p68mf5227fd8bpdsnj5ce@4ax.com>
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:03:53 -0500, Shay <sha### [at] nonenone> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>
> > Nah! It's a job thing. Park your brains at the door when you get
> > promoted :)
>
>Or "Park your brains when you *accept* a promotion."

LOL - true

>A driller in my
>company makes $90k a year. Not bad considering how poorly many of them
>read and write, but the job is a miserable one: sit on a stool and watch
>a gauge - btw, f*** up and people die. A bit more to it than that, of
>course, but no way to spend a life! No wonder they're so bitchy.

In my day and in the UK sector. The driller actually worked a bit. But if that
mud pressure changed fast then you'd better hope the BOP works :)
I never had to work under the drilling crew because I was part of the barge crew
reporting to the OIM. So I would have a slightly different viewpoint.

> > I sympathise Jim. I've b*ggered my body working offshore and can't
> > exercise or I'll make it worse.
>
>Come on, you don't have to pump iron, buy a bicycle.

I've thought about that but:
1.	I live in the centre of London and the traffic scares be silly.
2.	My hips are on the verge of giving out. If I walk for more than about 3
miles or an hour. I have to take pain killers.
Swimming might be better if I hadn't pulled a muscle in my arm that hasn't
healed properly. Or if I didn't find it boring and wet.
It is a concern :(
But then I'm pushing 60 and can wear my t-shirt tucked in to my breeks so I
shouldn't complain too much.

Regards
	Stephen