POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video editing Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:13:19 EDT (-0400)
  Video editing (Message 1 to 10 of 59)
From: Invisible
Subject: Video editing
Date: 16 Jan 2008 04:46:07
Message: <478dd25f$1@news.povray.org>
So, what do people here use for editing video?

I found a program called Virtual Dub which I use to convert a list of
stills into an animation file. I'm told it also has some kind of video
editing capabilities. (I haven't actually investigated this part yet.)

My DVD burner came with some software that will transcode video into the
secret format that DVD players will play. It also has some minimal
editing facilities. (To be honest, it seems to be more interested in
designing cute fluffy menu systems for the disk...)

I'm told certain versions of Nero feature similar functionallity - but
apparently not the versions I have. ;-)

So, I've got something to turn frames into video, and something to turn
video into a playable DVD. Anybody know of something good for editing
inbetween?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> I found a program called Virtual Dub which I use to convert a list of
> stills into an animation file. I'm told it also has some kind of video
> editing capabilities. (I haven't actually investigated this part yet.)

  VirtualDub is not a video editing software. It's basically a program to
decode and then encode video (using existing codecs in your system), with
support for some filters which can be applied to the video.

  The main purpose of VirtualDub is to re-encode videos (from one format,
eg. raw or mpeg2, to another, eg. mpeg4, of from one format to the same
format but with different compression settings).

> My DVD burner came with some software that will transcode video into the
> secret format that DVD players will play.

  I didn't know MPEG-2 was so secret of a format.

> It also has some minimal
> editing facilities. (To be honest, it seems to be more interested in
> designing cute fluffy menu systems for the disk...)

  DVD creators are not video editing software per se.

> Anybody know of something good for editing inbetween?

  Something which doesn't cost humongous amounts of money? Nope.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> I found a program called Virtual Dub which I use to convert a list of
>> stills into an animation file. I'm told it also has some kind of video
>> editing capabilities. (I haven't actually investigated this part yet.)
>
>   VirtualDub is not a video editing software. It's basically a program to
> decode and then encode video (using existing codecs in your system), with
> support for some filters which can be applied to the video.

Which is mostly what I use it for. ;-)

>> My DVD burner came with some software that will transcode video into the
>> secret format that DVD players will play.
>
>   I didn't know MPEG-2 was so secret of a format.

Well, *you* try finding software that will encode it. (Without paying
money.) Plenty of decoders, no (free) encoders.

And it's not just MPEG-2. A playable DVD requires a particular file
structure and lots of metadata. (And a root menu...) I hear it's
possible to build a usable video DVD using k3b, but after the first
dozen pages of the HOWTO I decided it was just way too complicated.

>> It also has some minimal
>> editing facilities. (To be honest, it seems to be more interested in
>> designing cute fluffy menu systems for the disk...)
>
>   DVD creators are not video editing software per se.

True. But mine does offer a few cute little effects like dissolves, and
allows you to arrange and rearrange sets of clips with moderate easy.
(Just don't try to preview it - it makes the computer cry.)

>> Anybody know of something good for editing inbetween?
>
>   Something which doesn't cost humongous amounts of money? Nope.

Mmm, OK. I was kind of thinking that in this age of OSS almost
everything seems to have a free implementation somewhere. Oh well...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/