POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video editing : Re: Video editing Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video editing
From: Invisible
Date: 16 Jan 2008 06:15:57
Message: <478de76d$1@news.povray.org>
>> I found a program called Virtual Dub which I use to convert a list of
>> stills into an animation file. I'm told it also has some kind of video
>> editing capabilities. (I haven't actually investigated this part yet.)
>
>   VirtualDub is not a video editing software. It's basically a program to
> decode and then encode video (using existing codecs in your system), with
> support for some filters which can be applied to the video.

Which is mostly what I use it for. ;-)

>> My DVD burner came with some software that will transcode video into the
>> secret format that DVD players will play.
>
>   I didn't know MPEG-2 was so secret of a format.

Well, *you* try finding software that will encode it. (Without paying
money.) Plenty of decoders, no (free) encoders.

And it's not just MPEG-2. A playable DVD requires a particular file
structure and lots of metadata. (And a root menu...) I hear it's
possible to build a usable video DVD using k3b, but after the first
dozen pages of the HOWTO I decided it was just way too complicated.

>> It also has some minimal
>> editing facilities. (To be honest, it seems to be more interested in
>> designing cute fluffy menu systems for the disk...)
>
>   DVD creators are not video editing software per se.

True. But mine does offer a few cute little effects like dissolves, and
allows you to arrange and rearrange sets of clips with moderate easy.
(Just don't try to preview it - it makes the computer cry.)

>> Anybody know of something good for editing inbetween?
>
>   Something which doesn't cost humongous amounts of money? Nope.

Mmm, OK. I was kind of thinking that in this age of OSS almost
everything seems to have a free implementation somewhere. Oh well...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/