POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm asking... uh, dude... why? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:09:37 EDT (-0400)
  I'm asking... uh, dude... why? (Message 1 to 10 of 56)
From: Invisible
Subject: I'm asking... uh, dude... why?
Date: 11 Jan 2008 05:06:42
Message: <47873fb2@news.povray.org>
OK, so the company I work for is moving to a new building.

As part of the move, I thought it would be nice to buy some new gigabit

brand you buy. But when HQ got wind of this, they said "oh no, you must
buy these Cisco switches, that way they'll match what everybody else has".

Well anyway, HQ bought the switches themselves. I got an email the other
day to say they've finished configuring them now. (It's a switch? What's
to configure? It's a passive component...) They're about to ship them over.

Yesterday I got a document describing the configuration of the switches.
And now it all becomes horribly clear.

These "switches" are actually *routers*. That's why they're so damn
expensive - each one is a 24-port *router*!!

Um... we don't *need* routers. We have 1 subnet. We just need some
ordinary switches. Oh well...

But wait! Looking at the configuration details, it seems HQ want to
split my network into several seperate subnets, and have configured the
routers to route between them.

Er... why?? This isn't necessary. All this does is massively increase
the complexity of my network. For no gain. Why are you going this?? (And
why is today the first I've heard of this?)

*sigh* Clearly I'm going to have to make some phone calls... :-(

[Seriously. Do these people just enjoy making things complicated for the
fun of it? Are they trying to prove how cleaver they are or something?
Perhaps this is job security? I don't know, but where I'm from, it's
usual to go with the *simplest* solution that does what you want, not
the most complicated one...]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/