POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm asking... uh, dude... why? : Re: I'm asking... uh, dude... why? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm asking... uh, dude... why?
From: Warp
Date: 11 Jan 2008 06:40:56
Message: <478755c7@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> (It's a switch? What's
> to configure? It's a passive component...)

  Wikipedia:

"Low-end network switches appear nearly identical to network hubs, but
a switch contains more "intelligence" (and comes with a
correspondingly slightly higher price tag) than a network hub. Network
switches are capable of inspecting data packets as they are received,
determining the source and destination device of that packet, and
forwarding it appropriately. By delivering each message only to the
connected device it was intended for, a network switch conserves
network bandwidth and offers generally better performance than a hub."

  That sounds to me like being more than just a passive component (unlike
a dumb hub which just forwards blindly everywhere)...

--
                                                          - Warp