POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm asking... uh, dude... why? : Re: I'm asking... uh, dude... why? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm asking... uh, dude... why?
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jan 2008 06:45:54
Message: <478756f2$1@news.povray.org>
>> (It's a switch? What's
>> to configure? It's a passive component...)
>
>   Wikipedia:
>
> "Low-end network switches appear nearly identical to network hubs, but
> a switch contains more "intelligence" (and comes with a
> correspondingly slightly higher price tag) than a network hub. Network
> switches are capable of inspecting data packets as they are received,
> determining the source and destination device of that packet, and
> forwarding it appropriately. By delivering each message only to the
> connected device it was intended for, a network switch conserves
> network bandwidth and offers generally better performance than a hub."
>
>   That sounds to me like being more than just a passive component (unlike
> a dumb hub which just forwards blindly everywhere)...

A hub is little more than an amplifier. A switch contains actual control
electronics. That much is true. However, a switch still does the same
*job* as a hub - it just does it better. There still isn't anything that
needs to be "configurated". [But, as I found out, these switches are
actually routers.]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/