POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm asking... uh, dude... why? : Re: I'm asking... uh, dude... why? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm asking... uh, dude... why?
From: scott
Date: 11 Jan 2008 06:57:14
Message: <4787599a@news.povray.org>
> A hub is little more than an amplifier. A switch contains actual control
> electronics. That much is true. However, a switch still does the same
> *job* as a hub - it just does it better. There still isn't anything that
> needs to be "configurated".

Oh yes there is.

I have a Cisco Catalyst 2950 sat here that has a serial port connection for
configuration.

For a start you can configure security on a per-port basis, ie limit access
to MAC address etc.

Then you can make rules for dropping packets, based on MAC address, IP
address etc.  Ie you could prevent the sockets in your conference room from
seeing your mail server unless a known MAC address was plugged in.

You can also have it notify you if an unknown MAC address appears on the
switch.

And a load of QoS stuff.

We also have our VoIP network going through the same switch as our data
network, this needs to be configured too.

They're far from simple boxes.