POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Error message Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Error message (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Invisible
Subject: Error message
Date: 4 Jan 2008 05:55:07
Message: <477e108b$1@news.povray.org>
OK, what is the purpose of an error message?

You *might* be tempted to say that it's meant to tell you that an error
has occurred. But actually, it's more than that. It's supposed to tell
you *what* error occurred! (Usually the fact that _something_ went wrong
is damn obvious.)

Take the following error message, for example:

PERC 4/SC Controller 0, Array Disk 0:1 Sense Key = 3, Sense Code = 11,
Sense Qualifier = 0. If this disk is part of a non-redundant virtual
disk, the data for this block cannot be recovered. The disk will require
replacement and data restore. If this disk is part of a redundant
virtual disk, the data in this block will be reallocated.

...WTF?

So... is my data gone or not? If it is, why is it gone? If it isn't,
what's the problem? (And if there isn't a problem, why are you giving me
an error message?)

Seriously - YOU'RE THE ARRAY CONTROLLER! You KNOW whether this is part
of a redundant virtual disk or not. Why can't you just show me only the
relevant parts of the error message??

Hmm. "The data in this block will be reallocated." What does that *mean*
anyway? Can you recover the data or not?

As you can see, this is a pretty useless error message. It basically
says "Event X has happened. If condition Y is true then this represents
an error, otherwise it doesn't." In other words, this error might not
even *be* an error. So it's failed purpose #1 - telling you an error has
occurred. It also utterly fails purpose #2 - WHY is any of this
happening in the first place? Presumably a block on the disk was
unreadable - but it doesn't SAY so anywhere.

Sadly, this kind of thing seems extremely common. Developers don't seem
to think it's important for people to know what an error condition
actually means or what the implications are.

Oh, did I mention? It's a Dell server.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/