POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physical puzzle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:40 EDT (-0400)
  Physical puzzle (Message 11 to 20 of 66)
From: Xavier Manget
Subject: Re: Physical puzzle
Date: 2 Jan 2008 08:12:43
Message: <477b8dcb$1@news.povray.org>

477abc37@news.povray.org...
> Xavier Manget <NOS### [at] freefr> wrote:
>> If the trains' speeds are close enough to the speed of light, because of
>> relativistic length contraction  (and with correct timing) the trains
>> will
>> have enough length to pass each other on the double track?...
>
>> Did I get it? :-p
>
>  Yes.
>
>  (Had you heard of the thought experiment, or did you figure it out on
> your own?)

I figured it out on my own :-) ... I've learned a little about special
relativity at school (20 years ago) but I really don't feel comfortable with
it, I find it so counter-intuitive...

Xavier

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 2 Jan 2008 09:32:05
Message: <477ba065@news.povray.org>
Xavier Manget <NOS### [at] freefr> wrote:
> I figured it out on my own :-) ... I've learned a little about special
> relativity at school (20 years ago) but I really don't feel comfortable with
> it, I find it so counter-intuitive...

  There's too much physical evidence to support relativity that it's just
impossible to deny that it gets at least pretty damn close to how the
universe really works.

  Given the right circumstances I'm convinced that this thought experiment
could indeed work in reality. (Of course it couldn't be done with actual
trains, but something similar could work.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message