POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Suggestions: Text editors Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:54 EDT (-0400)
  Suggestions: Text editors (Message 31 to 40 of 58)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Suggestions: Text editors
Date: 3 Jan 2008 05:06:08
Message: <477cb390$1@news.povray.org>
>> Oh, Vim is an OK text editor. It's just not that fantastic...
>
> Well yes, it's not an operating system ;-)
>
> I don't know, what feature(s) do you miss?
>
> I'm fairly certain I'm using Vim at a fraction of its capacity, so I
> don't feel any incentive to move, personally...

Well, you know, it's a text-mode editor. I guess by definition that
places rather strong limits on what useful things it can do. For example,

- You can't click on where you want the cursor to move to. You must
manually move the cursor around using several million arrow key presses.

- You can't cut and paste blocks of text.

- You can't change the display to fit more than 80 characters on the screen.

- You can't have multiple files open at once. (Well, unless you count
using virtual terminals.)

- You can't realistically do syntax hilighting. (Well, again, I suppose
theoretically you could - but with only 8 colours available, how good is
that going to look?)

It's not that Vim is a bad product - I'm not sure how any possible
text-mode program could possibly overcome these limitations. They seem
to be inherant in the description "text-mode program" rather than
specific to Vim itself...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> It's not that Vim is a bad product - I'm not sure how any possible
> text-mode program could possibly overcome these limitations. They seem
> to be inherant in the description "text-mode program" rather than
> specific to Vim itself...

But all of these flaws are fixed in GUI versions of Vim, including Cream
and probably WinVi.

As for syntax highlighting, maybe try to type :syntax on in a text-mode
Vim and see for yourself if it works... Though I still prefer it in the
GUIs.

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message