POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Suggestions: Text editors : Re: Suggestions: Text editors Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions: Text editors
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Jan 2008 11:09:56
Message: <477d08d4$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:

>> - You can't click on where you want the cursor to move to. You must
>> manually move the cursor around using several million arrow key presses.
>
> really?  This is not true as of this age and even if it was true, believe me:
> arrow keys are evil.  Use "{" or "}" to jump between paragraphs and other
> blocks of text, "50G" to go to line 50, "(" or ")" to jump between sentences
> and when you want to go back to previous stops, "CTRL+O" goes back through the
> location stack...

None of these things quite compares to "I want to put the cursor *here*..."

[Although, finding like 138726 quickly might be useful if the compiler
reported an error on line 138726.]

> you're insane:  "3y}"

...riiiiight. *I* am insane? ;-)

>> - You can't realistically do syntax hilighting. (Well, again, I suppose
>> theoretically you could - but with only 8 colours available, how good is
>> that going to look?)
>
> pretty friggin' good.  Try :syntax enable and :colorscheme koehler
>
> I do povray stuff in it and pov SDL syntax highlighting is not usually found or
> integrated into most text editors...

LOL. I'm loving that filename...

Doesn't much seem to resemble the little program I end up having to use
when I'm trying to fix a broken Linux install where /etc/fstab is messed
up or some such and I need to edit it. You certainly can't get more than
80 characters on screen there - because the terminal window is only 80
characters wide.

For sure you can run a text-mode program inside a terminal window. I
didn't know somebody had actually put buttons on it by now though. Still
doesn't look like much fun to actually use...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/