POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Displaced colors on flatscreen monitors on display in the store. Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:11:34 EDT (-0400)
  Displaced colors on flatscreen monitors on display in the store. (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Displaced colors on flatscreen monitors on display in the store.
Date: 7 Dec 2007 06:38:10
Message: <475930a2@news.povray.org>
I spent 5 minutes shopping for flatscreen monitors at a large electronics
store.  About 8 monitors where showing the same ad, which was a mixture of
still photos, vector based text, and movies.

Funny thing is that many of them seemed to be suffering from a color
displacement: it looked like the reds were 2 mm off, at least when showing
some stills.

Should I avoid such a brand where this happens EVER, or could it be an
electronic artifact in how an error in color shift occurs because of
sharing or splitting the output too many times?

Post a reply to this message

> I spent 5 minutes shopping for flatscreen monitors at a large electronics
> store.  About 8 monitors where showing the same ad, which was a mixture of
> still photos, vector based text, and movies.
>
> Funny thing is that many of them seemed to be suffering from a color
> displacement: it looked like the reds were 2 mm off, at least when showing
> some stills.
>
> Should I avoid such a brand where this happens EVER, or could it be an
> electronic artifact in how an error in color shift occurs because of
> sharing or splitting the output too many times?

The cause is probably the latter. If you're interested in a certain
screen, have them hook it up to a PC with an output configured to fit
the screen. Once the screen starts squashing images and getting
deteriorated input, there's no way to tell if its only the messy input,
or also a bad screen.

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Post a reply to this message

>I spent 5 minutes shopping for flatscreen monitors at a large electronics
> store.  About 8 monitors where showing the same ad, which was a mixture of
> still photos, vector based text, and movies.
>
> Funny thing is that many of them seemed to be suffering from a color
> displacement: it looked like the reds were 2 mm off, at least when showing
> some stills.
>
> Should I avoid such a brand where this happens EVER, or could it be an
> electronic artifact in how an error in color shift occurs because of
> sharing or splitting the output too many times?

2 mm off is certainly at least 5 or 6 pixels, probably nearer 10.  There is
no way this could be possible inside the monitor, it would need to have
additional circuitry to delay one colour channel a significant amount of
time compared to the other channels.  You can get sub-pixel alignment
problems if you are feeding it with an analog signal, but that just makes
stuff look blurry (all colours are shifted) and can be easily fixed with the
"auto" option on most monitors.  Feeding it via DVI digital doesn't have
this problem.

I would say it's just the result of very crappy analog source and splitters
being used...  Go to a different store!

Post a reply to this message

"Tim Nikias" <JUS### [at] gmxnetWARE> wrote in message
> Greg M. Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Should I avoid such a brand where this happens EVER, or could it be an
>> electronic artifact in how an error in color shift occurs because of
>> sharing or splitting the output too many times?
>
> The cause is probably the latter. If you're interested in a certain
> screen, have them hook it up to a PC with an output configured to fit the
> screen. Once the screen starts squashing images and getting deteriorated
> input, there's no way to tell if its only the messy input, or also a bad
> screen.

Funny anecdote:
While I was at my local Wal-mart, they had some HDTV's hooked up, being fed
from some common source.  The STUPID thing, was that they were all sharing
some highly compressed video feed.  Artifacts were horrible.  It was better
than YouTube quality, but worse than standard analog TV.  I couldn't figure
any reason that they would be showing a demo video that made all their
HDTV's look like junk.  Incompetence can be funny, I guess...

Post a reply to this message