POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Displaced colors on flatscreen monitors on display in the store. : Re: Displaced colors on flatscreen monitors on display in the store. Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:22:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Displaced colors on flatscreen monitors on display in the store.
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 7 Dec 2007 06:53:13
Message: <47593429$1@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> I spent 5 minutes shopping for flatscreen monitors at a large electronics
> store.  About 8 monitors where showing the same ad, which was a mixture of
> still photos, vector based text, and movies.
>
> Funny thing is that many of them seemed to be suffering from a color
> displacement: it looked like the reds were 2 mm off, at least when showing
> some stills.
>
> Should I avoid such a brand where this happens EVER, or could it be an
> electronic artifact in how an error in color shift occurs because of
> sharing or splitting the output too many times?

The cause is probably the latter. If you're interested in a certain
screen, have them hook it up to a PC with an output configured to fit
the screen. Once the screen starts squashing images and getting
deteriorated input, there's no way to tell if its only the messy input,
or also a bad screen.

Regards,
Tim

--