POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : User-friendly software Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  User-friendly software (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Invisible
Subject: User-friendly software
Date: 3 Dec 2007 05:30:48
Message: <4753dad8$1@news.povray.org>
I was asked a simple question. One of our project managers has broken
her shoulder. (Something to do with a horseracing accident...) So our
lab manager wanted to be able to access her mailbox.

Actually assigning permission isn't too hard. And then from within
Outlook, you can select "Open Other User's Folder" and access her inbox.
Or her calender. But not any other folders. Which isn't that useful.

A quick Google search turns up Micro$oft knowledge base article
KB195781, "How to open another user's calender or other folder when you
use the Corporate Workgroup installation in Outlook 2000". (Succinct, eh?)

Well, actually we have Outlook 2003, so it took me a fair while to
figure out the correct instructions. After about 20 minutes, I managed
to get the mailbox open. The exact sequence is of corse

- Open Outlook 2003.
- Select the "Tools" menu followed by "Edit E-mail accounts..."
- In the window that opens, select "View or edit existing email
accounts..." and hit "Next".
- Click on the "Change..." button.
- In the window that opens, click the "More Settings..." button.
- In the window that opens (yes, this is window #3), select the
"Advanced" tab (where else?)
- Press the "Add..." button.
- In the (tiny) window that opens, type in the name of the user who's
mailbox you actually want to add. (!)
- Press "OK, "Continue", "Next", "Finish", etc. more times than I can be
bothered to count.
- Restart Outlook. The user's folder is now accessible.

So, in summary,

Tools > E-mail settings > View > Next > Change... > More Settings >
Advanced > Add...

Gotta love the multiple layers of "yes, I want MORE settings" and "yes,
I want the ADVANCED settings". Damn, ever get the impression this
software is designed to be operated by 1,000 monkeys trying to write
Shakespear?

Also love the way you have to perform no less than 7 seperate mouse
clicks before you even *get* to the part where you say what mailbox you
want to add.

But then, I doubt any of this will be news to you guys out there who use
M$ products all the time...

Post a reply to this message

> I was asked a simple question. One of our project managers has broken
> her shoulder. (Something to do with a horseracing accident...) So our
> lab manager wanted to be able to access her mailbox.
did you check she really had broken her shoulder and that she gave
permission to open her mailbox?

[snip]

> Tools > E-mail settings > View > Next > Change... > More Settings >
> Advanced > Add...
>
> Gotta love the multiple layers of "yes, I want MORE settings" and "yes,
> I want the ADVANCED settings". Damn, ever get the impression this
> software is designed to be operated by 1,000 monkeys trying to write
> Shakespear?
I guess they designed it such that even those 1000 monkeys (or cleaners
or dancing cats) would not do that accidentally. The change of that is
exponential in the number of clicks. So to be save you need such a lot
of levels.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Dec 2007 12:39:15
Message: <47543f43$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:30:48 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> So, in summary,
>
> Tools > E-mail settings > View > Next > Change... > More Settings >
> Advanced > Add...
>
> Gotta love the multiple layers of "yes, I want MORE settings" and "yes,
> I want the ADVANCED settings". Damn, ever get the impression this
> software is designed to be operated by 1,000 monkeys trying to write
> Shakespear?
>
> Also love the way you have to perform no less than 7 seperate mouse
> clicks before you even *get* to the part where you say what mailbox you
> want to add.
>
> But then, I doubt any of this will be news to you guys out there who use
> M$ products all the time...

Makes me glad I use GroupWise - grant rights through the mailbox options
(just 2 clicks IIRC to get there), and then to access the box, select
"Proxy" from the toolbar.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 3 Dec 2007 19:45:20
Message: <4754a320$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I was asked a simple question. One of our project managers has broken
> her shoulder. (Something to do with a horseracing accident...) So our
> lab manager wanted to be able to access her mailbox.

Reset the password, have an admin change it to something only the admin
knows, have the same admin log in to her account and review the mails
with the lab manager, and then forward to the lab manager everything
that he needs to see.

And hope the project manager didn't have personal mail in there.

Regards,
John