POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : bluray and pixar Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  bluray and pixar (Message 41 to 50 of 66)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: bluray and pixar
Date: 23 Nov 2007 12:00:07
Message: <47470717$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Myself, I find the compression artifacts tremendously distracting.

You know what I find amusing?

You sit and watch a DVD on your normal TV, and it looks just like normal
TV. (Except a bit clearer.) Then you go watch the same DVD on your PC,
and it looks *horrible*! There's black noise, there's big pixel blocks,
there's bits of background moving at 2 frames per second... and then you
realis just how lame your TV is.

I once put together a DVD where one animation was at half resolution.
When you watch it on TV, you can't actually tell the difference... (!)

>> As far as I know, a normal TV operates at something like 300x200 or
>> so. That means that 4x would only be 600x400 - still extremely low.
>
> 640x480, actually, for NTSC disregarding overscan.

Mmm, OK.

Post a reply to this message

> > Myself, I find the compression artifacts tremendously distracting.
>
> You know what I find amusing?
>
> You sit and watch a DVD on your normal TV, and it looks just like normal
> TV. (Except a bit clearer.) Then you go watch the same DVD on your PC,
> and it looks *horrible*! There's black noise, there's big pixel blocks,
> there's bits of background moving at 2 frames per second... and then you
> realis just how lame your TV is.

Hmm... something that takes a crappy signal, and makes it look identical to a
good signal... I'd say that that makes yours a GOOD TV, wouldn't you? :)

Anyway, the every step in the video process has the potential to degrade picture
quality, so CG is always going to benefit most from HD, while live movies rely
much more on goo dacting than on good film quality.

....Chambers

Post a reply to this message