POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : bluray and pixar : Re: bluray and pixar Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bluray and pixar
From: Chambers
Date: 23 Nov 2007 20:10:00
Message: <web.474779aeafb49cda261d9700@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>
> > Myself, I find the compression artifacts tremendously distracting.
>
> You know what I find amusing?
>
> You sit and watch a DVD on your normal TV, and it looks just like normal
> TV. (Except a bit clearer.) Then you go watch the same DVD on your PC,
> and it looks *horrible*! There's black noise, there's big pixel blocks,
> there's bits of background moving at 2 frames per second... and then you
> realis just how lame your TV is.

Hmm... something that takes a crappy signal, and makes it look identical to a
good signal... I'd say that that makes yours a GOOD TV, wouldn't you? :)

Anyway, the every step in the video process has the potential to degrade picture
quality, so CG is always going to benefit most from HD, while live movies rely
much more on goo dacting than on good film quality.

....Chambers