POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : bluray and pixar Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:11 EDT (-0400)
  bluray and pixar (Message 21 to 30 of 66)
From: scott
Subject: Re: bluray and pixar
Date: 22 Nov 2007 09:44:36
Message: <474595d4@news.povray.org>
>> They probably use MPEG2, it gives you about twice the compression of
>
> I believe they do. At least for standard def DVD.

The bluray standard allows MPEG2, h264 or VC-1 to be used.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 22 Nov 2007 09:48:38
Message: <474596c6$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>> They probably use MPEG2, it gives you about twice the compression of
>>
>> I believe they do. At least for standard def DVD.
>
> The bluray standard allows MPEG2, h264 or VC-1 to be used.

Had to look them up. Cool.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 22 Nov 2007 09:56:14
Message: <4745988e$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> The bluray standard allows MPEG2, h264 or VC-1 to be used.

h264 is pretty impressive, even if it does require a Cray to run at
realtime speeds.  my own attempt to rip a VHS tape to an AVI resulted in
an initially 22-GB file (6.25 hours @ 640x480x24fps), and I was able to
use h264 to compress it to ~3 GB with almost no noticeable reduction in
quality (not that the quality was terribly great to begin with...)

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message