POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : bluray and pixar : Re: bluray and pixar Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:18:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bluray and pixar
From: Phil Cook
Date: 22 Nov 2007 11:13:30
Message: <op.t17bcwaac3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:47:53 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> scott wrote:
>>> I mean 4x the number of pixels (2x lines + 2x columns).
>>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Common_Video_Resolutions.svg
>>  I was looking for that before but couldn't find it...
>
> Ah yes, it's coming back to me now... Some "HD" TVs only actually
> support the lowest HD resolution,

720i/p

> and some support higher ones.

1080i/p

> (I wonder if the same goes for "HD" transmissions and "HD" disks?)

Good question. I don't think there's anything stopping transmission in 720
instead of 1080. I believe Sky's own channels are 1080i but some of the
non-Sky HD stuff is 720p. As for discs If they're going to the bother I
don't see why they'd only use 720 over 1080. For games, I note some for
the PS3 only go as high as 720. A decent decoder will up/down scale
according to the TVs abilities, but obviously the more data the better.

>> Also I found a few screen-caps:
>>  http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/images/0604DoraCreds2b-x.jpg
>> http://www.bur.st/~anthony/dba/160206/stateoftheunion_1.jpg
>>  Now, if you can't tell the difference...
>
> These images look different to me. (I notice one is photographic and the
> other isn't...)

Well one is live the other cartoon (feel free to guess which is which),
you should also rezoom them so they have the same apparent height (if the
browser hasn't), and I believe Dora is NTSC which uses less lines then PAL.

> All I said was I was in a shop looking at one of their fantastic HD TVs
> and there was little if any apparent difference. Yeah, the picture was a
> little bit sharper, but nothing to get excited about.
>
> I see three possibilities:
>
> 1. The TV they were proudly displaying was actually rubbish.

Possibly

> 2. The signal they were feeding it with was naff.

Probably

> 3. There's little actual difference between HD and SD.

Nope.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com