POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game Engines Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:09 EDT (-0400)
  Game Engines (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Game Engines
Date: 12 Nov 2007 23:51:38
Message: <47392d5a$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> And could it be sold cheaper then developing a new
> one with just certain features?

Yeah, that all makes sense. Thanks for your thought. :)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 5 Dec 2007 22:30:59
Message: <47576cf3$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> What's missing to make that happen?

Actually, I thought of a couple other things.

Getting AI friendlies to do what you want them to would seem to be a
difficult thing. It's pretty awkward right now, interface-wise.
Populus-style instructions, HL2-style instructions, Darwinia-style
instructions, none of them really seem satisfactory.

Conversations (between PC and NPC) are awkward, interface-wise. The
"pick a response from the menu" mechanism never seemed especially
in-game realistic. Of course, games where you have non-cutscene
conversations with others (IME) are usually telling a story, but it
would seem this is something we haven't figured out how to do even with
a 100x increase in compute power.

Or have games I haven't played improved this sort of thing?

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it

Post a reply to this message

> Conversations (between PC and NPC) are awkward, interface-wise.

> Or have games I haven't played improved this sort of thing?

  Yes. In Half-Life 2 the playable character is completely silent. ;)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

And lo on Thu, 06 Dec 2007 03:30:59 -0000, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake, saying:

> Darren New wrote:
>> What's missing to make that happen?
>
> Actually, I thought of a couple other things.
>
> Getting AI friendlies to do what you want them to would seem to be a
> difficult thing. It's pretty awkward right now, interface-wise.
> Populus-style instructions, HL2-style instructions, Darwinia-style
> instructions, none of them really seem satisfactory.

Let's see a toggle between a 'return fire' and 'shoot on contact' stance
with 'advance' 'retreat' and 'go there' buttons. For a console easily
mapped to the directional buttons, if the AI is good enough to use cover
and has adequate path-finding that'd do me.

> Conversations (between PC and NPC) are awkward, interface-wise. The
> "pick a response from the menu" mechanism never seemed especially
> in-game realistic.

I liked what happened if you dropped the intelligence of your character in
Neverwinter Nights.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

> Let's see a toggle between a 'return fire' and 'shoot on contact' stance
> with 'advance' 'retreat' and 'go there' buttons. For a console easily
> mapped to the directional buttons, if the AI is good enough to use cover
> and has adequate path-finding that'd do me.

If they're just there helping you to kill baddies, yah.  When you get
into things like "bridge this gap with that plank" or "use your rocket
launcher on that door", I can see it getting as complicated as any other
character interaction.

Or how about "Stay here and cover me" or "lay down suppressing fire"? :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it
     at the end and adjust the release date.

Post a reply to this message

> Actually, I thought of a couple other things.
>
> Getting AI friendlies to do what you want them to would seem to be a
> difficult thing. It's pretty awkward right now, interface-wise.
> Populus-style instructions, HL2-style instructions, Darwinia-style
> instructions, none of them really seem satisfactory.

I'd be happy if my friendly AIs didn't stand in fire or poison clouds in
Diablo II.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

John VanSickle nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/06 18:59:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Darren New wrote:
>>> What's missing to make that happen?
>>
>> Actually, I thought of a couple other things.
>>
>> Getting AI friendlies to do what you want them to would seem to be a
>> difficult thing. It's pretty awkward right now, interface-wise.
>> Populus-style instructions, HL2-style instructions, Darwinia-style
>> instructions, none of them really seem satisfactory.
>
> I'd be happy if my friendly AIs didn't stand in fire or poison clouds in
> Diablo II.
>
> Regards,
> John
Or my mage did'nt fire his wand of lightning sideway in a small halway in
Baldus's Gate... even if that wand is NOT equiped.

--
Alain
Atheism: I can't believe this shit!