POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crysis is a devious Vista advertisement stunt? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Crysis is a devious Vista advertisement stunt? (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Crysis is a devious Vista advertisement stunt?
Date: 2 Nov 2007 07:40:32
Message: <472b1ac0$1@news.povray.org>
>  It seems that this is a hoax. Just a marketing campaign. Yes, the
> "very high" quality setting does indeed turn on several additional
> rendering features, but the hoax is that these rendering features *do*
> work in XP with a DX9 graphics card, and they do so at perfectly
> acceptable
> speeds. Not allowing to choose this highest quality option unless you are
> running Vista and a DX10 graphics card has nothing to do with lacking
> hardware/OS support, but it's just an artificial limitation.

The development team would have had to put in a huge amount of effort to
ensure those special effects worked on a DX9 card.  Why would they go to all
that effort and then not allow you to use them in the game?  If they really
wanted to get people to upgrade to Vista, they simply wouldn't have written
DX9 code for the effects and saved themselves a lot of time.

Another explanation is that they simply haven't got round to fully testing
the DX9 code yet for all the special effects, and didn't want to let people
try it "officially" in the demo.  If it is buggy after you've modified some
.cfg file yourself, you are less likely to get annoyed than if it is an
official option in the game.

Post a reply to this message

> Another explanation is that they simply haven't got round to fully
> testing the DX9 code yet for all the special effects, and didn't want to
> let people try it "officially" in the demo.  If it is buggy after you've
> modified some .cfg file yourself, you are less likely to get annoyed
> than if it is an official option in the game.

Then why does the game allow people to try it "officially" in the demo
under Vista?

Post a reply to this message