POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crysis is a devious Vista advertisement stunt? : Re: Crysis is a devious Vista advertisement stunt? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crysis is a devious Vista advertisement stunt?
From: scott
Date: 2 Nov 2007 09:34:18
Message: <472b356a$1@news.povray.org>
>> Another explanation is that they simply haven't got round to fully
>> testing the DX9 code yet for all the special effects, and didn't want to
>> let people try it "officially" in the demo.  If it is buggy after you've
>> modified some .cfg file yourself, you are less likely to get annoyed than
>> if it is an official option in the game.
>
> Then why does the game allow people to try it "officially" in the demo
> under Vista?

Vista uses DX10 (even with a DX9 card), which makes a lot of stuff far
simpler to code.  I imagine that they concentrated on making the DX10
code-base first (which will run on both DX9 and DX10 hardware in Vista),
then ported the new features to be compatible with pre-DX10 systems (ie XP).

If they didn't want the new features to run on pre-DX10 systems, why would
they even bother coding for DX9?  They must realise that a large proportion
of people still are on XP, which is why I assume they are doing DX9 code, I
guess they just didn't want to include it officially in the demo for some
reason.

Also, if they really didn't want people to try it out in the demo, why leave
it as a simple plain-text hack to get it working?  If they really were
trying to fool people then just hard-code it into the binary somewhere, or
better yet, just don't write any DX9 code at all for the fancy effects...