POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another Day in the School Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:48 EDT (-0400)
  Another Day in the School (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: Another Day in the School
Date: 24 Oct 2007 20:52:12
Message: <471fe8bc$1@news.povray.org>
Yesterday one of my students suffered a bout of priapism during class.
Google the term, I won't explain it here.  He was rather embarassed
about it (I approached him later to ask if it had been a stunt or
something unintentional, and his answer was very quiet).

Naturally, when some of the boys in later classes heard about this, they
decided to amuse themselves by simulating the condition.

Today in fifth period a few of the boys got caught up in making fart
jokes.  This did not amuse the girls who were sitting in front of them.
  "You guys are a good example of why girls prefer to date older boys,"
I said to them.  They looked at me as if I had stated something contrary
to common observation.  "Can I get a witness here?" I said.  All of the
girls on that side of the room raised their hands.

Today I also issued a detention for one student for eating in class
(that's prohibited at our school).  The miscreant tried to talk his way
out of it (evidently the paintball championships are this weekend, and
his father will not allow participation if he gets into too much
trouble).  He first asked how much money it would take to get him out of
the detention, and I responded that he and his father put together
didn't have enough.  Then he asked, "who do I have to kill or sleep with
to get out of this?"  I didn't answer, and didn't have to.  A student
elsewhere in the room greeted Mrs. R----, who is the lady in charge of
disciplining unruly students.  She was standing at the front of the room
and had heard him quite clearly.

The mercury spill is going to cost our school about twenty grand, for
the HAZMAT guys' response (which ran to about $16k), and another to
replace the carpeting in my room.  The kid who brought the stuff to
school was suspended for five days.  But the good news is that I was
allowed back into my room today, so I didn't have to gin up a lecture on
something to occupy the fifty minutes of class time; the kids are not
very lecture-tolerant.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message