POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  I miss this (Message 128 to 137 of 137)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: I miss this
Date: 31 Oct 2007 20:13:18
Message: <4729282e@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:56:23 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:

> And lo on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:54:20 -0000, Jim Henderson
> <nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:17:18 -0500, Warp wrote:
>>
>>>   Then wikipedia is horribly wrong, I suppose.
>>
>> Wikipedia isn't always right....
>
> Blasphemer! May a thousand sysops poop on your head :-)

Ah, well, that's already happened.  (I was a SysOp on CompuServe years
ago <g>)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 1 Nov 2007 12:49:47
Message: <472a11bb@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson escribió:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:17:18 -0500, Warp wrote:
>
>>   Then wikipedia is horribly wrong, I suppose.
>
> Wikipedia isn't always right....

Then edit it.

I hate people saying "don't use wikipedia because it's wrong". Make it
right instead of whining!

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 2 Nov 2007 05:18:38
Message: <472af97e@news.povray.org>
>> Friction against what?  Newton's 3rd law...
>
>  Against the ground

Equal and opposite torque on the person and the Earth ... angular momentum
is still conserved.

> and the air.

Same for the air - assuming you take the air as being part of the "Earth".
If not, then well you've got an external force on the system and angular
momentum will not be conserved (but at some point the air will have some
other effect on the Earth that will cancel out, the wind can't keep getting
faster and faster for ever).

>  Friction causes heat, and the energy for that heat must come from
> somewhere.
> I cannot be produced from nothing.

The heat is produced from the energy you need to maintain the force over
time (ie work done), eg from your food that you use to push your legs, or
the electricity in some electric motor.  Without that there would be no
force against the frictional force and the spinning would eventually stop.

Momentum (both angular and linear) is ALWAYS conserved in a system with no
external forces, always always always.  It's simply impossible to change the
momentum of a system without applying some external force (or torque).

Energy is also always conserved, but you have to consider ALL the energy
going into and out of the system, including heat, kinetic, any potentials in
gravitational/magnetic fields, chemical etc.  Look up the laws of
thermodynamics for further info.

Post a reply to this message