POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Life Sucked at My School This Week Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:07 EDT (-0400)
  Life Sucked at My School This Week (Message 11 to 20 of 58)
From: M a r c
Subject: Re: Life Sucked at My School This Week
Date: 20 Oct 2007 08:02:17
Message: <4719ee49@news.povray.org>

47192e8c$1@news.povray.org...
> Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>> thank. And then us students got to play with some... magnisium ribbon.
>> (Trust me, soaking magnisium in water isn't nearly so interesting.
>
> He gave you magnesium ribbon and you soaked it in water instead of fire?
> No wonder you thoguht it was boring.

Talking of Mg and Hg, At school, our teacher wanted to show us water
synthesis from H2 and O2 and the unstability of the gas mixture.
He filed a graduated lab glass tube with mercury and put it opening down in
a bath of mercury. then he filled it with the same volume of H2 and O2.
He told us to step back away then lit a ribbon of magnesium close to  the
tube. The mix exploded projecting a thousand drops of mercury all across the
lab.
It looks like he forgot deepening the open end of the tube in the bath.
At this time mercury wasn't known as so contaminant.

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 20 Oct 2007 09:26:52
Message: <471a021c$1@news.povray.org>
M_a_r_c wrote:

> He told us to step back away then lit a ribbon of magnesium close to  the
> tube. The mix exploded projecting a thousand drops of mercury all across the
> lab.
> It looks like he forgot deepening the open end of the tube in the bath.

Yes, but he DID demonstrate the instability of an H2/O2 mixture...

There was a similar demo on the David Letterman show.  The fellow had
two balloons, one filled with hydrogen and one filled with a
hydrogen/oxygen mix.  He touched a blowtorch to each balloon.  The
hydrogen-filled balloon made a brief, silent fireball.  The other
balloon made a brief and very noisy fireball.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 20 Oct 2007 09:29:11
Message: <471a02a7@news.povray.org>
Tim Attwood wrote:
>>>I'm hoping for Monday.  The HAZMAT guys took up the carpet today.
>>>This whole mess is costing the school upwards of ten grand, and probably
>>>more.
>>
>>Seems a bit much for something that 20 years ago you could buy at radio
>>shack for like a quarter.
>

> I spilled a pound of the stuff once and swept it up an dumped it back in
> its bottle, and I'm hardly insane at all.
>
> I heard they did the same thing for a broken CFL somewhere or other,
> with hazmat and everything. People need to toughen up.

As I said to my classes yesterday while talking about it, "the stuff is
not nerve gas.  Just don't eat it."

Unfortunately, the environmental regulations are written to treat
everything as if it were about a hundred times as dangerous as it really is.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 20 Oct 2007 10:01:58
Message: <471a0a56@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:

> Unfortunately, the environmental regulations are written to treat
> everything as if it were about a hundred times as dangerous as it really
> is.

Presumably in case it turns out to be ten times more dangerous than
everybody thought, so they don't get sued. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Brian Elliott
Date: 20 Oct 2007 10:32:14
Message: <471a116e@news.povray.org>
"John VanSickle" <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> At the school where I am the computer skills teacher, the students in one
> of the science classes were doing projects on the chemical elements. Each
> student was assigned a chemical element, and told to research that element
> on-line and in the school library.
>
> The student who drew the element mercury thought it would be nifty to have
> samples of the element in his project.  As I understand things, his father
> works in a field where mercury switches (which are little glass bulbs with
> mercury and wires in them) are used.  This youth brought several of these
> to class, almost certainly without his father's permission.
>
> Some of these little capsules were broken in the school building,
> resulting in mercury contamination in one of the boys' bathrooms, the
> locker room, and my classroom.
>
> Resultantly, a HAZMAT team was in the school today, tearing up the
> carpeting in my room, and doing their work in the other places as well. My
> classes were relocated to another room, where the air conditioner was off.
> Although this is middle October, this is also central Florida[1], so the
> room was uncomfortably warm.  The systems on which the educational
> software is installed are still in the room being decontaminated, so the
> students participated in their Accelerated Reading program for the day.
> They sit and read for half an hour.  Most of them hate it.
>
> The kid who brought the stuff to school was suspended for two days, and I
> was asked why I didn't notice kids playing with mercury in my room, by
> people who seem to have forgotten that if kids really want to hide
> something from the teacher, it requires Superman's X-Ray vision to catch
> them.
>
> So, life at school sucked this week.  How's life for you?
>
> Regards,
> John
>
> [1] Yes, those of you who live near The Villages in Florida may have seen
> this on the news.

When I was a student, our teacher brought mercury to the classroom in an
open beaker.  We could dip a finger in it and feel its heaviness press
around your finger.  While handling it, her ring finger dipped in the
mercury and her gold wedding ring came out "silvered".  Whoops.  She dropped
a little on a piece of aluminium and then shook it off.  Fresh white oxide
grew on the bare aluminium as though it was magic fast-gro hair.

Here's my week:

 I have been attempting fix/salvage of an Oracle database that I now believe
was incompletely upgraded in the past.  It's a 9.2.0.7 database and has
worked without problems for ages.  It is the Enterprise Manager repository
for managing about a dozen 8i and 9i databases, plus it has the Recovery
Manager catalogues for backups of another three 10g Databases.

It all started when we had had problems with peripheral hardware on the
server.  We rebooted and power-cycled the server to clear it.  I manually
shut Oracle down cleanly.  On startup, all Oracle restarted normally (2
databases, one listener, one intelligent agent, one EM console, one iAS
1.0.22.

That night, the full database export failed with an ORA-0600 error.  An
ORA-600 is the dreaded "internal error", and generally means "bug".  It
failed the next night too.  And the next.  Otherwise the DB worked fine.  It
just wouldn't export any more.

The message arguments that came with the ORA-600 indicate the exception
occurred in Java
routines.  Oracle's Metalink site lists many separate bug instances and
patches for this Java-specific problem, but also had a remarkably easy
workaround:  Bounce the database and this problem will go away.

We bounced the DB.  The export still breaks.  Bounce again.  Repeat ad
nauseum.
Nope, that workaround don't work on this DB.

Ok, so this DB is at version 9.2.0.7.  The terminal release of 9iR2 is
currently at 9.2.0.8.  That led me to the first tactic:

First tactic:  Update version to 9.2.0.8 in hope of clearing the bug.  If
not, well, we can get support from Oracle once it is on the terminal
release.

I downloaded the 9.2.0.8 patch set and began updating.  The install phase
went well.

While running the "catpatch.sql" to update the data dictionary objects,
several errors threw up here and there without an obvious reason:
"ORA-1460: Unimplemented or unreasonable conversion requested.".  The Error
Codes manual says of ORA-1460 in so many words:  "You stuffed up a
conversion format string in a TO_DATE, TO_CHAR or a TO_NUMBER function.
RTFM and get it right, you idiot."

But weirdly, this error threw on statements like "create public synonym",
"grant select on ... to PUBLIC", "create or replace view" and "drop table"
I watched as the patch script ran:  It made no sense.  I was studying and
pondering it while the patch SQL scrolled by in SQL*Plus, when...

BAM!  "ORA-03113: End-of-file on communication channel."  It happened on one
of the statements in the catpatch (actually in catjob.sql called by
catpatch) : it was a "grant select on ALL_JOBS to public with grant option".
The remaining several hundred of the patch's SQL statements all returned
"ORA-03114: Not connected to Oracle.".

I tracked down the trace file for the dropped SQL session.  The HP-UX
operating system had killed my SQL session on a Floating-Point Exception
(signal 8).  Nice.  Oh, and it occurred in a Java subroutine.  Did I mention
Java?

For a while I tried to push the semi-patched database through to a usable
state, but the session aborted on too many statements, plus those !#%$
ORA-1460s that seemed unrelated to the operations they threw on.  I
suspected something wrong in the data dictionary made Recursive SQL (a term
for Oracle's internal SQL on the data dictionary, that services your SQL
request) throw a 1460.  But normally when a Recursive SQL error breaks your
SQL statement, it tells you that's what broke.  This wasn't doing that.

THEN, I finally "saw" the banners for the very first time as I logged in
*yet_again* with SQL*Plus.  Roughly it looked something like:

Connected to Oracle RDBMS 9.2.0.8.0 Enterprise Edition 64-bit -- Production
With Data Mining, Partitioning and Spatial options

JServer Release 9.0.1.4.0

SQL>

WTF was that?!?

The Java Machine in this database is a 9i Rel.1 version and the DB is 9i
Rel.2!  How the h3ll did that happen?!  I checked out a 9.2.0.6 DB somewhere
else.  Sure enough the banners including JServer are all 9.2.0.6.0.

Further pursuit of upgrade was pointless, so I shutdown the DB.  Blew it
away, and the software home and the installer's inventory.  Restored it all
from tape, started the DB and did media recovery to a point-in-time just
before the abortive update.  Sure enough, RDBMS 9.2.0.7.0 and JServer
9.0.1.4.  It must have been like this for three years at least!

Second tactic: Data protection Strategy:
In case this DB ultimately has to be thrown out, I wanted to preserve the
RMAN catalogs and Enterprise Manager Repository.  I really don't feel like
rebuilding all that.  The full export was failing because of a Java bomb,
but maybe if I export only the RMAN user, I could extricate some data before
the caboose heads over the cliff.

I made an export par file.  I started the export.  The server fell to its
knees and nearly died.  More accurately, "exp" ran, printed no messages, not
even a banner.  It sucked 100% of one CPU and proceeded to eat memory like
carnival ice-cream.  Within one minute, exp had a 1.26 GB resident memory
size, disk I/O was at 100% bandwidth as "vhand" swapped everything that
wasn't "exp"out to disk, including both databases.  It took two minutes just
waiting to pull a new command prompt, or a login prompt, or anything.

I couldn't get rid of it:  The runaway export cheerfully ignored my <Ctrl-C>
(Interrupt) <Ctrl-\> (Quit) and then repeated "kill -9" signals.  I
abortively shutdown the database it was supposed to be exporting.  (I gave
up on the normal shutdown after waiting for three minutes)  It still
wouldn't die.  I set up a shell command loop to send it a kill -9 every two
seconds.  Finally I also shut down the OTHER database to try free enough
memory to get functionality back, and at last the "exp" process died, on
about the 23rd kill-loop iteration.  It released 1.2 GB of memory and the
system was at last responsive again.

Phew!!   But -- it meant the death of hopes of preserving data to carry to a
new database.  :-(

Third tactic:  Uninstall and reinstall the JServer to bring it up to the
proper database version.

A colleague had made up an SQL script in the past to do just this on another
DB, and he gave it to me.  This didn't work for the same reason as before.
The SQL connection just died as soon as it touched any Java-ish object.  So
the JVM is even too faulty to drop.  And AGAIN, those ORA-1460 messages!

Seems much more is wrong with this DB than just Java.  It must have gone
through a botched upgrade from 9.0.1.4 and god knows what else could be
wrong with it.  It's a miracle it worked at all for this long!  I blow it
all away.  Restore from tape.

Fourth tactic:  Do a *full* 9iR2 base install (9.2.0.1.0) and run the
9.0.1 -> 9.2.0 migration procedures over the database.  If that's ok, patch
up to 9.2.0.8.

Where the hell did our 9.2.0.1.0 software for HP-UX go??  Dammit.  I had to
download all four disks worth from Oracle Technet.  Took about a day.
Still, thank god the Internet makes this possible.

That's brought me to Thursday afternoon and I could do no more with it this
week.  On Friday I had to prepare for a planned cutover of another
application to its Disaster Recovery site database.  The primary building
was being knocked off power supply (also my office)

Thursday night: A callout.  Friday night: A callout -- the application is
extremely slow on the D-R database.  Today (Saturday) more work on the D-R
callout, but finally resolved.

As for the "Fourth tactic" install on the 9.2.0.7 / 9.0.1.4 dudderbase, it
will come next week.  Watch this space.

If that doesn't work, the fifth tactic will also be my last one:  Trash it
all and build a completely new database, Enterprise Manager configuration
and RMAN catalog.  A long job.  The most recent valid export of RMAN and
Enterprise Manager data will be old and on tape, but might be usable.

--
Brian

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 20 Oct 2007 16:01:52
Message: <471a5eb0$1@news.povray.org>
Brian Elliott wrote:
> Phew!!   But -- it meant the death of hopes of preserving data to carry
> to a new database.  :-(

You didn't just write something to go through each table and say "select
* from $table" and then dump that out to CSV files, at least? :-)  One
of the lovlies about the RDBM was that you could do such things pretty
trivially.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 20 Oct 2007 16:06:54
Message: <471a5fde@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Brian Elliott wrote:
>> Phew!!   But -- it meant the death of hopes of preserving data to
>> carry to a new database.  :-(
>
> You didn't just write something to go through each table and say "select
> * from $table" and then dump that out to CSV files, at least? :-)  One
> of the lovlies about the RDBM was that you could do such things pretty
> trivially.

Yeah - and then rebuild all the table structures, indexes, data
permissions, etc. :-S Still, it depends on how "vital" the data is. I
take it you didn't just loose your entire customer list or anything? ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 20 Oct 2007 17:29:39
Message: <471a7343@news.povray.org>

> Yeah - and then rebuild all the table structures, indexes, data
> permissions, etc. :-S Still, it depends on how "vital" the data is. I
> take it you didn't just loose your entire customer list or anything? ;-)

Not necessary. Do a select * from all the system tables too, or generate the
scripts straight from the system tables Is possible at least in MS SQL. Is
something that I do fairly often when creting a replica of the prod
environment

Still that is the last resort. Should always be able to revert back to a
backup.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 20 Oct 2007 20:01:53
Message: <471a96f1$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> Yeah - and then rebuild all the table structures, indexes, data
> permissions, etc.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. All that stuff *is* in the
tables.  Usually in tables named something like sys.users, sys.grants,
sys.tables, and so on.

From: Michael Raiford
Date: 20 Oct 2007 23:28:54
Message: <471ac776$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> John VanSickle wrote:
>
>> [1] Yes, those of you who live near The Villages in Florida may have
>> seen this on the news.
>
> When I was at school, the teacher *showed* us a bottle of mercury from
> the chemicals cupboard.
>
> Yes, it probably shouldn't have a disintegrated cork for a lid. Still,
> metalic mercury is quite harmless. It's the oxide you want to worry
> about. What that...? Oh... Yes, it does oxidize quite well in air.
>
> Apparently the school was "probably not supposed to keep this stuff any
> more". Whatever. I was *far* more concerned by the bottle at the back
> labelled "WARNING: Explosive when dry" containing an amorphus dry powder...

Hmmm.... No, probably not good.

I was always intrigued by the metallic canister with the yellow and
black international symbol for radiation on it, which resided in the
physics classroom. Apparently in the later physics classes, they get to
play with a Geiger counter.

> We also got to watch the teacher play with some sodium in a big water
> thank. And then us students got to play with some... magnisium ribbon.
> (Trust me, soaking magnisium in water isn't nearly so interesting. After
> an hour, a few bubbles had formed...)

Our chemistry teacher used to do some after school sessions. I showed up
to more than a few. One of which was begun by him handing everyone latex
gloves, then handing is little chunks of a grayish, soft metal. Oh,
yeah... and there was this big bucket of water ...

Sodium is fun. XD

He also filled a huge rubber balloon with a 2:1 ratio of pure hydrogen
and oxygen. Then took a flame to it. People on the other side of the
school campus heard the resulting bang.

Strangely, he was reassigned to biology the next year ...