POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Life Sucked at My School This Week : Re: Life Sucked at My School This Week Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Life Sucked at My School This Week
From: John VanSickle
Date: 20 Oct 2007 09:26:52
Message: <471a021c$1@news.povray.org>
M_a_r_c wrote:

> He told us to step back away then lit a ribbon of magnesium close to  the
> tube. The mix exploded projecting a thousand drops of mercury all across the
> lab.
> It looks like he forgot deepening the open end of the tube in the bath.

Yes, but he DID demonstrate the instability of an H2/O2 mixture...

There was a similar demo on the David Letterman show.  The fellow had
two balloons, one filled with hydrogen and one filled with a
hydrogen/oxygen mix.  He touched a blowtorch to each balloon.  The
hydrogen-filled balloon made a brief, silent fireball.  The other
balloon made a brief and very noisy fireball.

Regards,
John