POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dev-Cpp or Watcom? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:32 EDT (-0400)
  Dev-Cpp or Watcom? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: Dev-Cpp or Watcom?
Date: 8 Oct 2007 17:00:20
Message: <470a9a64$1@news.povray.org>
Right now I've been using Dev-Cpp for developing my modeler.  It's
getting the job done.

The only real issue with Dev-Cpp is that the fine folks at bloodshed.net
haven't updated the compiler since 2005, whereas Watcom is still being
supported.

The primary issue I have with OpenWatcom is that apparently the floating
point library that comes with it doesn't include single-precision
version of the functions, only doubles.  That isn't a show-stopper;
although the objects in my project which use floats use single-precision
values (a space issue, since there may be many thousands of them in a
project), the library doesn't get called that much, so the casting and
re-casting isn't hurting performance.

Watcom also has a feature that appears to be lacking in Dev-Cpp, which
is the warnings for unused local variables (not vital, but it's nice for
this former C64 programmer to know where a wasted byte may be lurking in
my code); so that's a point in its favor.

(As an aside, the IDE in lcc-win32 has a feature that flags unrecognized
symbols (by underlining them); that helped get typos fixed more quickly.)

The question I haven't answered yet is the code size issue; does anyone
know if OW executables are notably larger or smaller than Dev-Cpp
executables?

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message