POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How fast, how many? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:41 EDT (-0400)
  How fast, how many? (Message 22 to 31 of 31)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: How fast, how many?
Date: 15 Sep 2007 15:04:26
Message: <46ec2cba$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:49:30 +0100, St. wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>>I managed 192 on the 20 second one....
>
>     Show off.  ;)  Heh, I think my arm would be dead if I got to that
> level...  :)
>
>       ~Steve~

Heh, the trick is not in the arm, it's in the fingers.  Used to be a
violinist, so my left hand is quite agile. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 15 Sep 2007 15:25:21
Message: <46ec31a1$1@news.povray.org>
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:49:30 +0100, St. wrote:
>
>> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>>>I managed 192 on the 20 second one....
>>
>>     Show off.  ;)  Heh, I think my arm would be dead if I got to that
>> level...  :)
>>
>>       ~Steve~
>
> Heh, the trick is not in the arm, it's in the fingers.  Used to be a
> violinist, so my left hand is quite agile. :-)

    You did that left-handed? And you're naturally right-handed (I assume)?
Fairplay if so.  :oO

      ~Steve~

> Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 20:25:16 +0100, St. wrote:

>> Heh, the trick is not in the arm, it's in the fingers.  Used to be a
>> violinist, so my left hand is quite agile.
>
>     You did that left-handed? And you're naturally right-handed (I
>     assume)?
> Fairplay if so.  :oO

Actually, yes, I am naturally right-handed, but that was with my left
hand.  Used to be faster, but I haven't played my violin in several years
now.

I wonder what it'd be like if I actually were still playing. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 20:25:16 +0100, St. wrote:
>
>>> Heh, the trick is not in the arm, it's in the fingers.  Used to be a
>>> violinist, so my left hand is quite agile.
>>     You did that left-handed? And you're naturally right-handed (I
>>     assume)?
>> Fairplay if so.  :oO
>
> Actually, yes, I am naturally right-handed, but that was with my left
> hand.  Used to be faster, but I haven't played my violin in several years
> now.
>
> I wonder what it'd be like if I actually were still playing. :-)

over-fatigued?

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:18:36 +0200, andrel wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>>     You did that left-handed? And you're naturally right-handed (I
>>>     assume)?
>>> Fairplay if so.  :oO
>>
>> Actually, yes, I am naturally right-handed, but that was with my left
>> hand.  Used to be faster, but I haven't played my violin in several
>> years now.
>>
>> I wonder what it'd be like if I actually were still playing. :-)
>>
> over-fatigued?

Hmmm, probably, do need to take a break once in a while after all. ;-)

I've tried a few times recently - don't have the callouses on my fingers
any more, so it does actually hurt a bit to play.

Well, that and that I need about $400 worth of work done on my violin -
had some work done on it some time ago, and whoever did the actual work
glopped some varnish on the end of the soundpost.  Friend of a friend in
the Utah Symphony (a cellist) said he'd take it back to the last people
who worked on it and make them fix it - but the guy's no longer in Utah,
so getting them to do anything is going to be a problem anyways.

Not to mention that the e-string screech was one of the things I asked
them to fix - the cause was something other than what I thought it was,
though, and they did actually do the work I'd asked for, it just was the
wrong cause and they didn't look any further.  I can't remember who
worked on it before that.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:18:36 +0200, andrel wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Actually, yes, I am naturally right-handed, but that was with my left
>>> hand.  Used to be faster, but I haven't played my violin in several
>>> years now.
>>>
>>> I wonder what it'd be like if I actually were still playing. :-)
>>>
>> over-fatigued?
>
> Hmmm, probably, do need to take a break once in a while after all. ;-)
>
> I've tried a few times recently - don't have the callouses on my fingers
> any more, so it does actually hurt a bit to play.
>
> Well, that and that I need about $400 worth of work done on my violin -
> had some work done on it some time ago, and whoever did the actual work
> glopped some varnish on the end of the soundpost.  Friend of a friend in
> the Utah Symphony (a cellist) said he'd take it back to the last people
> who worked on it and make them fix it - but the guy's no longer in Utah,
> so getting them to do anything is going to be a problem anyways.
Ah yes, Utah. I do have friends over there, but the friend (Willibrord
Crijnen) I could refer you to lives in Marseille. That is a bit far away
I am afraid. :(
Willibrord and I studied physics together, but although he was extremely
good (as in: better than me), after 2 or 3 years his genetic
predisposition took over and he dropped out of university to become a
fulltime violin builder. I spent many happy afternoons in his workshop
talking a.o. about the physics of the violin family.
I still use him now and then to make the point that talent is important
in finishing a degree in physics, but motivation is much more important.

> Not to mention that the e-string screech was one of the things I asked
> them to fix - the cause was something other than what I thought it was,
> though, and they did actually do the work I'd asked for, it just was the
> wrong cause and they didn't look any further.  I can't remember who
> worked on it before that.
>
> Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Sep 2007 13:46:38
Message: <46ed6bfe@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:40:46 +0200, andrel wrote:

> Ah yes, Utah. I do have friends over there, but the friend (Willibrord
> Crijnen) I could refer you to lives in Marseille. That is a bit far away
> I am afraid. :(

Yeah, France is a little bit of a plane ride away. :-)

> Willibrord and I studied physics together, but although he was extremely
> good (as in: better than me), after 2 or 3 years his genetic
> predisposition took over and he dropped out of university to become a
> fulltime violin builder. I spent many happy afternoons in his workshop
> talking a.o. about the physics of the violin family. I still use him now
> and then to make the point that talent is important in finishing a
> degree in physics, but motivation is much more important.

I think it's a combination, really - if you have no talent but have
motivation, you'll end up largely frustrated.  Similarly, if you have
talent but no motivation, you'll do poorly in the classes because you'll
blow off your assignments.

My younger brother was a physics major (once upon a time - he ended up
with philosophy & religion as his major with a music minor); he found
that he couldn't hack the math.  Similar sort of thing for me, I was
motivated to do aeronautical engineering, but once I got to organic
chemistry and the professor from hell (whom I mistakenly took the class
TWICE from, dumb move there) as well as integral calculus, I found myself
in way over my head.  I had talent for computing (evidenced by the amount
of time I spent working in the computer lab on the networking systems),
so switched over to that, but I wasn't as motivated (I don't think,
anyways) because the classes weren't teaching me what I wanted to learn
about.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 18 Sep 2007 13:52:16
Message: <46f01050@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:46ea44f8@news.povray.org...

> "somebody" <x### [at] ycom> wrote in message news:46ea0375$1@news.povray.org...

>> Goesontoshowthateverythingworthdoing,andalotthat'snothavebeendoneontheIntern
>> et,andwehavehitrockbottom.Nonetheless,ifsufficientlybored,Icouldget~200per5s
>> ecs,Isuppose.Luckily,I'mnotATM.
>
>     Heh, well, I reckon I could do about 5000 @ 20 seconds using one hand.
> :)

      Ok,ok,youdidn'tbite. ;)

But,I*could*doitonehandedwithmys00perd00perhammeractionpendantmotorthingyrunning@20,000RPM!!

:op

         Heh...  :)

        ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Austin
Date: 19 Sep 2007 08:29:05
Message: <46f11611$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:46ea44f8@news.povray.org...
>> "somebody" <x### [at] ycom> wrote in message news:46ea0375$1@news.povray.org...
>
>>> Goesontoshowthateverythingworthdoing,andalotthat'snothavebeendoneontheIntern
>>> et,andwehavehitrockbottom.Nonetheless,ifsufficientlybored,Icouldget~200per5s
>>> ecs,Isuppose.Luckily,I'mnotATM.
>>     Heh, well, I reckon I could do about 5000 @ 20 seconds using one hand.
>> :)
>
>       Ok,ok,youdidn'tbite. ;)

But,I*could*doitonehandedwithmys00perd00perhammeractionpendantmotorthingyrunning@20,000RPM!!

> :op
>
>          Heh...  :)

Taking into account the mass of the space bar itself and the inertia it
gets when hit along with the return force of the spring and the tendency
for the actual space 'button' mass to cause it to have a different
inertia than the bar itself therefore to lag behind the space bar on the
'up' stroke you run a good risk of either having the contact that
registers a space bar press never separating - giving the appearance on
one long continuous press of the space bar, or causing the space bar to
disintegrate.

Me, I prefer to remove the debounce circuitry/routines from the
keyboard.  Then each press can be worth thousands in themselves.  After
all it is the number of times that the contact in the space bar button
connects that ultimately counts..... - but then I run into the problem
that the computer is probably not fast enough to catch them all.....

<sigh>

heh... :)

Tom

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 19 Sep 2007 09:33:27
Message: <46f12527$1@news.povray.org>
> Me, I prefer to remove the debounce circuitry/routines from the keyboard.
> Then each press can be worth thousands in themselves.

I think the key point we are missing here, is that the flash application
probably only reads the keyboard 20 or 30 times a second, at most 60...