POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How fast, how many? : Re: How fast, how many? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How fast, how many?
From: andrel
Date: 16 Sep 2007 07:36:31
Message: <46ED163E.5070408@hotmail.com>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:18:36 +0200, andrel wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Actually, yes, I am naturally right-handed, but that was with my left
>>> hand.  Used to be faster, but I haven't played my violin in several
>>> years now.
>>>
>>> I wonder what it'd be like if I actually were still playing. :-)
>>>
>> over-fatigued?
>
> Hmmm, probably, do need to take a break once in a while after all. ;-)
>
> I've tried a few times recently - don't have the callouses on my fingers
> any more, so it does actually hurt a bit to play.
>
> Well, that and that I need about $400 worth of work done on my violin -
> had some work done on it some time ago, and whoever did the actual work
> glopped some varnish on the end of the soundpost.  Friend of a friend in
> the Utah Symphony (a cellist) said he'd take it back to the last people
> who worked on it and make them fix it - but the guy's no longer in Utah,
> so getting them to do anything is going to be a problem anyways.
Ah yes, Utah. I do have friends over there, but the friend (Willibrord
Crijnen) I could refer you to lives in Marseille. That is a bit far away
I am afraid. :(
Willibrord and I studied physics together, but although he was extremely
good (as in: better than me), after 2 or 3 years his genetic
predisposition took over and he dropped out of university to become a
fulltime violin builder. I spent many happy afternoons in his workshop
talking a.o. about the physics of the violin family.
I still use him now and then to make the point that talent is important
in finishing a degree in physics, but motivation is much more important.