POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Virtual insanity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:10:29 EDT (-0400)
  Virtual insanity (Message 74 to 83 of 123)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: Re: Game over
Date: 25 Sep 2007 16:39:38
Message: <46f9720a@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v3 wrote:
> Well, I finally managed to get back in contact. My joy was short-lived
> though. Apparently in "the next month or so" she's moving house to a
> place many hours' drive from here.
>
> I feel sick. Physically.
>
> Life is just so violently unfair. The ONLY thing I want in this world is
> to have a girlfriend. And no matter what I do, this goal remains
> completely unattainable.
>
> I feel so miserable right now...

For crying out loud, start a profile at www.okcupid.com and find someone
else!

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 25 Sep 2007 17:01:56
Message: <46f97744@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:

>> I feel so miserable right now...
>
> For crying out loud, start a profile at www.okcupid.com and find someone
> else!

Ah yes, join yet another dating website. I'm sure that'll solve
everything...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Sep 2007 17:07:09
Message: <46f9787d$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:36:44 +0100, Orchid XP v3 wrote:

> I can't find anything remotely
> similar to what I'm looking for. So, basically, I'm completely stuck,
> and I don't know what to do next.

You've had advice to expand your search to include things that you know
and are good at but don't value.  Start there.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:36:44 +0100, Orchid XP v3 wrote:
>
>> I can't find anything remotely
>> similar to what I'm looking for. So, basically, I'm completely stuck,
>> and I don't know what to do next.
>
> You've had advice to expand your search to include things that you know
> and are good at but don't value.  Start there.

I don't think you understand.

In all the looking I've done, I have yet to find a single job where I
can even say "hey, I could probably do that job". Never mind one where
I'd *want* to do that...

There's really no point applying for a job you know you can't do.
(Unless you enjoy proving to yourself how much you fail...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Post a reply to this message

>> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:36:44 +0100, Orchid XP v3 wrote:
>>
>>> I can't find anything remotely
>>> similar to what I'm looking for. So, basically, I'm completely stuck,
>>> and I don't know what to do next.
>>
>> You've had advice to expand your search to include things that you
>> know and are good at but don't value.  Start there.
>
> I don't think you understand.
>
> In all the looking I've done, I have yet to find a single job where I
> can even say "hey, I could probably do that job". Never mind one where
> I'd *want* to do that...
Do I need to remind you that you very much restricted yourself
geographically?

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Sep 2007 18:49:54
Message: <46f99092$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:09:48 +0100, Orchid XP v3 wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:36:44 +0100, Orchid XP v3 wrote:
>>
>>> I can't find anything remotely
>>> similar to what I'm looking for. So, basically, I'm completely stuck,
>>> and I don't know what to do next.
>>
>> You've had advice to expand your search to include things that you know
>> and are good at but don't value.  Start there.
>
> I don't think you understand.
>
> In all the looking I've done, I have yet to find a single job where I
> can even say "hey, I could probably do that job". Never mind one where
> I'd *want* to do that...

That's because you don't give yourself the credit for your skills that
you deserve.  We've been down this discussion before...

> There's really no point applying for a job you know you can't do.
> (Unless you enjoy proving to yourself how much you fail...)

Um, the job I have now is a job I would've said I was absolutely *not*
qualified to do - because it's essentially a people management position.
(It's actually a programs management position, but there are over a
thousand people in the programs).  I got it because I was being laid off
due to cutbacks, and a VP provided me with a safety net because he had a
need he thought I could fill.

I've been here two years, and so far, it's the best job I've ever had.
Turns out I am qualified to do it, I just didn't think I was.

So, so much for *that* logic. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 26 Sep 2007 05:36:46
Message: <46fa282e$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v3 wrote:

>>> Well, I'm 27, she's 25, not sure if that qualifies as "grown up".
>>
>> Let me put it another way. For women who have moved out from home
>> themselves, do they generally don't mind that their potential
>> boyfriend still live with his mother?
>
> Well, none of the ones I've spoken to seemed to mind.
>
>> Do the women you've been interested in live by their parents?
>
> Let me count... 3 did, 3 didn't.
>
>>> Housing prices in the UK are currently astronomical.
>>
>> What do other young people your age in the UK do?
>
> You're asking *me*?

We rent. Buying often doesn't become an option without pooling
resources, be that with parents, partner or friend. There's some pretty
silly lending going on at the moment which makes buying easier but I'm
personally steering clear at the moment (I have many friends and
relatives earning no more than me who have dived into it with glee,
however).

Renting need not be expensive, especially since you're well outside
London and have no intention of going there, although to maximise your
value-for-money you'd probably have to share a place.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Austin
Date: 26 Sep 2007 08:24:54
Message: <46fa4f96$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v3 wrote:
>>> Yeah. Inbetween her having to finish her PhD in the next 17 days and
>>> her employer who might be sending her to Japan on Thursday and she's
>>> going on holiday to somewhere else in a few weeks' time and...
>>
>>       Well, maybe she isn't the one for you then, but there's plenty
>> more out there...
>
> *sigh* Yeah, it seems she isn't. And that makes me very sad indeed. I
> was so hoping she would be... Now I've gone from "I might have a
> girlfriend in a few weeks" back to plain "I am hopelessly single", with
> no future in sight. Great.
>
> There are plenty of *people* out there, some of whom are female, but it
> seems there are very few indeed who are suitable for me. I don't doubt
> they exist - just my ability to find them. :-(

You ARE making progress....  not too long you never have had any
prospects.  Now you actually asked QA girl and it seems like you've come
close on this one.

I think that we speak for all of us here (dissenters can keep quiet) -
we are PROUD of you for your efforts.

Tom

Post a reply to this message

From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 26 Sep 2007 08:55:49
Message: <46fa56d5@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v3 wrote:
> Apparently in "the next month or so" she's moving house to a
> place many hours' drive from here.

Y'know, the last time I looked, you lived on a modest-sized island off
the coast of France.*  How far away can she be?

Seriously, unless you've been told in so many words to back off, drop
dead, etc., you really ought to stay in touch with her.  Surely she's
not moving someplace out of range of email, snail mail, phone...?

Best case scenario:  She finds that she misses you horribly and you end
up living happily ever after.  Worst case scenario:  You gain (a)
experience communicating with women and (b) a friend.**  It's a win/win
situation.

--Sherry Shaw

* Obligatory Pratchett reference.

** Well, okay, the *real* worst case scenario is that she gets a court
order or something, but I don't see you as *quite* that obsessive. ;)

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 26 Sep 2007 10:10:38
Message: <46fa685e@news.povray.org>
> Apparently in "the next month or so" she's moving house to a
> place many hours' drive from here.

  I have never understood why people are so obsessed with moving.
Sometimes it feels that not a month goes by without a friend or someone
I know moving. I know some people who have moved at least 4 times in
one single year!

  I have long ago stopped keeping track of where everyone I know lives
because it's just impossible. I would need a database.

--
                                                          - Warp