POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Power (Message 1 to 10 of 133)
From: Orchid XP v3
Subject: Power
Date: 1 Sep 2007 14:10:45
Message: <46d9ab25@news.povray.org>
Well, I've been testing out all sorts of electric and electronic gear to
find out what actually uses the most power. The results are very
surprising...

The most thirsty device I've found so far is... the kettle. It uses in
excess of 3,000 W for the entire duration that you try to boil water
with it. On the other hand, something like the washing machine uses a
tiny fraction of that, even when it's on its highest spin cycle. (Uses
only 600 W. Actually uses 700 W while it spins up, but then drops to 600.)

I haven't tested out the TV yet, but of all the stuff I have tested, it
seems that any device that performs any kind of *heating* instantly uses
many times more power than anything else. I emphasize: MANY TIMES more
power. Not 20% more, not 50% more, but nearer to 1000% more! Heck, even
the vacuum cleaner (surely a high power device) in fact uses a fraction
of the power that the toaster does!

Can anybody suggest why this might be? I mean, huge powerful electric
motors use a fair bit of power, but it's almost insignificant compared
to heating devices. Why does heating things require so much power?

Also, I notice that my PC uses about 10x as much power as my laptop.
There are two possible explanations for this:

1. My PC is (or recently was) leading edge, whereas my laptop was pretty
much old hat even when it was purchased.

2. It's a laptop. It's designed to use less power.

PS. We have *another* Intel Core 2 Duo laptop at work. And just like the
first one, it seems to be utterly impossible to make it heat up, no
matter how much number chrunching I throw at it. How do they manage that?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Post a reply to this message

- What device do you use to mesure power ? Is it expensive ?

- Have you tried to mesure the power used by electronic devices (TV,
HiFi, etc.) when they are on standby ? I find it difficult to get a
estimation for this, and it seems to vary greatly even among similar
devices ?

Thibaut

> Well, I've been testing out all sorts of electric and electronic gear to
> find out what actually uses the most power. The results are very
> surprising...
>
> The most thirsty device I've found so far is... the kettle. It uses in
> excess of 3,000 W for the entire duration that you try to boil water
> with it. On the other hand, something like the washing machine uses a
> tiny fraction of that, even when it's on its highest spin cycle. (Uses
> only 600 W. Actually uses 700 W while it spins up, but then drops to 600.)
>
> I haven't tested out the TV yet, but of all the stuff I have tested, it
> seems that any device that performs any kind of *heating* instantly uses
> many times more power than anything else. I emphasize: MANY TIMES more
> power. Not 20% more, not 50% more, but nearer to 1000% more! Heck, even
> the vacuum cleaner (surely a high power device) in fact uses a fraction
> of the power that the toaster does!
>
> Can anybody suggest why this might be? I mean, huge powerful electric
> motors use a fair bit of power, but it's almost insignificant compared
> to heating devices. Why does heating things require so much power?
>
> Also, I notice that my PC uses about 10x as much power as my laptop.
> There are two possible explanations for this:
>
> 1. My PC is (or recently was) leading edge, whereas my laptop was pretty
> much old hat even when it was purchased.
>
> 2. It's a laptop. It's designed to use less power.
>
> PS. We have *another* Intel Core 2 Duo laptop at work. And just like the
> first one, it seems to be utterly impossible to make it heat up, no
> matter how much number chrunching I throw at it. How do they manage that?

Post a reply to this message

> I haven't tested out the TV yet, but of all the stuff I have tested, it
> seems that any device that performs any kind of *heating* instantly uses
> many times more power than anything else.

It's amazing how much potential there is in even a small amount of heat,
isn't it?

By the way, while heating so far beats all other estimates, IIRC cooling
requires even *more* juice for the same amount of temperature change.
Of course, I don't know if your air conditioner will suck in as much
heat as your kettle puts out, but AC is probably the greatest drain on
the power grid pretty much anywhere in the world.

> Also, I notice that my PC uses about 10x as much power as my laptop.
> There are two possible explanations for this:
>
> 1. My PC is (or recently was) leading edge, whereas my laptop was pretty
> much old hat even when it was purchased.
>
> 2. It's a laptop. It's designed to use less power.

Both.

> PS. We have *another* Intel Core 2 Duo laptop at work. And just like the
> first one, it seems to be utterly impossible to make it heat up, no
> matter how much number chrunching I throw at it. How do they manage that?

Several ways, one of which being that it slows itself down if it gets
too hot :)

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 19:11:57 +0100, Orchid XP v3 wrote:

> I haven't tested out the TV yet, but of all the stuff I have tested, it
> seems that any device that performs any kind of *heating* instantly uses
> many times more power than anything else. I emphasize: MANY TIMES more
> power. Not 20% more, not 50% more, but nearer to 1000% more! Heck, even
> the vacuum cleaner (surely a high power device) in fact uses a fraction
> of the power that the toaster does!
>
> Can anybody suggest why this might be? I mean, huge powerful electric
> motors use a fair bit of power, but it's almost insignificant compared
> to heating devices. Why does heating things require so much power?

Heat is generated through increased electrical resistance; in order to
heat a heating element up, you need to push more electricity through it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heating_element is a good starting point.

Jim

Post a reply to this message